The Official RONR Q & A Forums

rdgoodman1999

Our by laws and the laws of our organization states:  A quorum must exist to "conduct business."  Our order of business is the usual.  Opening, committee reports, other reports, general discussions treasurer report, reading of bills and approval for payment of bills, closing and etc. 

My question is do you have to have a quorum to open and close and conduct NON BUSINESS activity, such as, open, information dissemination, discussion without approval, closing and etc. 

if so or not so could you give me a Robert Rules of Order reference

Thanks for any help.

Our by laws and the laws of our organization states:  A quorum must exist to "conduct business."  Our order of business is the usual.  Opening, committee reports, other reports, general discussions treasurer report, reading of bills and approval for payment of bills, closing and etc. 

My question is do you have to have a quorum to open and close and conduct NON BUSINESS activity, such as, open, information dissemination, discussion without approval, closing and etc. 

Thanks for any help.

You will find the answer on pages 347-48 of RONR, 11th ed.

You can have a proper meeting without a quorum present, but you cannot do any business, except for some "parliamentary" items described on p. 347.

It looks to me that the "non-business" activities you describe are OK in an inquorate meeting, although I might, if pressed, be a little dubious about "discussion without approval".  It would be a bit unseemly to have a small group come to an informal decision and then, later, try to ram it through the next meeting with a quorum present.

Thanks for any help.

Since discussion normally requires a motion first, and because making of nearly all motions is prohibited without a quorum, discussion is going to be a problem.

Archived