The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Triumvirate leadership structure possible?

Guest Mary

Our school recently invited nomination for executive board positions. Our bylaws allow for a shared leadership of two people. However, we received three nominations for one position and rather than engaging in a contested election, we would like to consider amending the bylaws to allow for this unique triumvirate leadership structure. I'm told however that there is no time to amend the bylaws before the end of the school year. Is there a way to suggest some kind of special vote, amending the bylaws to accommodate this idea, at the election meeting? Alternately, if the three people could not be accepted as equal leaders, would it be necessary to amend the bylaws to allow for one leader and two deputy positions? Are there other questions that should be taken into consideration here? I am new to RR and welcome any feedback!

RONR and most of us who are regulars on this forum frown on co-anythings (co-presidents, co-chairmen, etc) and strongly discourage them.  I don't see us feeling any better about a triumvirate.  It is certainly not mentioned in RONR.  It is my opinion, shared by many on here, that any form of joint leadership leads only to trouble.  Who's in charge?  

With a triumvirate, you have what amounts to a small executive board.  Why not just have a single president with a three person executive board, including himself?

When you start having shared leadership positions, you're on your own.  Neither RONR nor any of us on this forum can be of much help with that.

btw, setting up an executive board would also require a bylaw change unless one of that size is already authorized.

Edited to add:  This is what RONR has to say about co-leadership positions on page 187:

"The anomalous title "co-chairman" should be avoided, as it causes impossible dilemmas in attempts to share the functions of a single position."

Sharing one position among three people is bound to create at least 50% more "impossible dilemmas" than the already unspeakable practice of sharing between two.

Thankfully, your bylaws only allow two, and fortunately for you, you have no time to increase that number to three.   If there were time, I'd recommend reducing the number to one.  It would be well worth the effort.

Archived