The Official RONR Q & A Forums

the board's authority vs. the assembly's authority

bobby101

Gentlemen and ladies: Looking for guidance--again. Reading RONR, page 483, lines 6-8, " In any event, no action of the board can alter or conflict with any decision made by the assembly of the society, and any such action of the board is null and void." Would a decision made by the assembly include the previous by-laws? The citation goes on to state that, "Except in matters placed by the by-laws exclusively under the control of the board, the society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out, and can rescind or amend any action of the board if it is not too late(see 35). I have read Section 35 and see no time limit expressed there that would prohibit bringing a motion to the membership to address this issue. This matter deals with a topic I have surfaced before in this forum where a by-law change was approved by our membership ( an error in my view) that requires proposed by-laws and by-law amendments to be be recommended by the board before they can be presented to the membership. Appreciate your views. Thank you

Mr. Fish: Instruct is not the word I would use. Some quick background: In 2008 our Board proposed an amendment that any amendments to our by-laws had to be recommended by the board to the membership for consideration. Prior to that time there was no "board-recommended" language in our amending the by-laws section of our by-laws. I opposed this change on the issue that the membership should have both the ability and the right to propose amendments but the membership agreed to the language change that the board proposed. Last year, as a member of the club, but not actively serving on the board, I proposed several changes to our by-laws but the board said it wasn't "the right time". Which gets us to my question and responding to your question. I don't think I can "instruct" the board but I think I can  "propose" to the board that they present my amendment to the membership for consideration. The way I read my dilemma is that the board under our current by-laws can choose not to recommend my changes and I'm not sure what options I have, if any. And the real issue is that the board does not want to surrender that power over recommending by-laws and by-law changes, particularly if the changes may return some of that power to the membership. A long answer to your question, but I thought the background might be helpful. Thank you

This matter deals with a topic I have surfaced before in this forum where a by-law change was approved by our membership ( an error in my view) that requires proposed by-laws and by-law amendments to be be recommended by the board before they can be presented to the membership. 

If the bylaws require a recommendation from the board prior to amendment by the general membership then the bylaws can't be amended by the general membership without a recommendation from the board.

As you noted, this has been addressed here before.

I don't think I can "instruct" the board but I think I can  "propose" to the board that they present my amendment to the membership for consideration. The way I read my dilemma is that the board under our current by-laws can choose not to recommend my changes and I'm not sure what options I have, if any. And the real issue is that the board does not want to surrender that power over recommending by-laws and by-law changes, particularly if the changes may return some of that power to the membership.

The solution is to elect board members who will support the desired amendment.

Gentlemen: My apologies if I am rehashing the issue(s). By now you may sense my frustration in trying to address  a situation (for almost 3 three years now) where the our board violates and ignores our by-laws and seems able to maintain their position and get away with it. Like an aging W. C. Fields who was seen reading the Bible by a friend who asked him, "Bill, are you studying for finals?" And he answered, "No, just looking for loopholes." Unlike W.C.  I'm not really looking for loopholes but trying to see if there are options open to me under RONR. Thank you

Archived