The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who signs Committee of the Whole Minutes

cadonn

Hello.  I am looking for clarification on who signs the minutes for our Committee of the Whole meetings.  For example each month we have a new chair.  For the first meeting of the month the minutes that require signing are from the previous month.  My Council thinks the only person who may sign those minutes is the chairperson from the last month not the new chair person for the current month.  I am thinking this is not so - is the chair signing based on the approval of all council members? 

Thank you.

Cathy

Hello.  I am looking for clarification on who signs the minutes for our Committee of the Whole meetings.  For example each month we have a new chair.  For the first meeting of the month the minutes that require signing are from the previous month.  My Council thinks the only person who may sign those minutes is the chairperson from the last month not the new chair person for the current month.  I am thinking this is not so - is the chair signing based on the approval of all council members? 

Thank you.

Cathy

A committee of the whole, just as any other committee, does not keep regular minutes, nor are its proceedings incorporated into the assembly's minutes.  The Secretary of the assembly keeps a memorandum of the committee of the whole's proceedings for its use only.  So the answer is, no one signs them.

A committee of the whole, just as any other committee, does not keep regular minutes, nor are its proceedings incorporated into the assembly's minutes.  The Secretary of the assembly keeps a memorandum of the committee of the whole's proceedings for its use only.  So the answer is, no one signs them.

I'll sign 'em if you want.

Thank you.

Cathy

Cathy, does your organization go into commmittee of the whole every meeting?  Why?

And, are these minutes that you're asking about, a separate thing from the minutes of the full meeting (that is, the rest of the meeting, outside of the part under committee of the whole)?

Archived