The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic Board Meeting

Guest mevans

At our Church the Ruling Board of Session has 9 members, with the pastor being the moderator, I am the clerk.

We have 2 members now because of work requirements are away during the meetings. In order for them to participate we have set up a Google+ hangout - and with a TV in the conference room (it's kinda like Max Headrom) we can see and hear them and they can see and hear us.

There is nothing in our by-laws allowing or prohibiting this - should there be? I am assuming the same would be true if there were a speaker phone and a member attended by phone.

Also - our Board of Deacons has come into a habit - between meetings - of member needs funds email - vote yes or no..    also not in the bylaws - and I feel is not appropriate.   Am I correct?

" It is a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that the right to vote is limited to the members of an organization who are actually present at the time the vote is taken in a regular or properly called meeting, although it should be noted that a member need not be present when the question is put. Exceptions to this rule must be expressly stated in the bylaws." (RONR p. 423)

Dr. Stackpole may disagree with me, but my answer to the first is that, unless the bylaws provide otherwise, a deliberative assembly is a group of people assembled in one room, able to hear each other.  This practice, therefore, is not allowed unless the bylaws so provide.

Voting by email is, to my view, even worse (although there is no such thing as worse than "not allowed" ruleswise.)  Again, unless there are rules permitting it, it is not allowed.

I certainly don't disagree, but with (presumably) good bylaws you can pull off an e-mail (quasi) deliberative asembly.  The trick is to simply redefine what you mean by a "deliberative assembly"  (OK to do in bylaws per p. 10) and take it from there  --  it works!  Which just shows what a remarkably good set of rules are found in RONR.  Originally written for local associations, they work for world wide electronic meetings as well.

See one way here with variations here.

I certainly don't disagree, but with (presumably) good bylaws you can pull off an e-mail (quasi) deliberative asembly.  The trick is to simply redefine what you mean by a "deliberative assembly"  (OK to do in bylaws per p. 10) and take it from there  --  it works!  Which just shows what a remarkably good set of rules are found in RONR.  Originally written for local associations, they work for world wide electronic meetings as well.

See one way here with variations here.

Perhaps I'm just not good at advising groups on this because I find that more often than not trying to have an "e-liberative" assembly ends up in disaster.

Perhaps I'm just not good at advising groups on this because I find that more often than not trying to have an "e-liberative" assembly ends up in disaster.

That's because they are not following the (modified) e-RONR rules.  D'oh!

I have been to lots of meeting where rules weren't followed, and they too ended in disasters.

Thank you for your answers - we discussed at our last meeting (surprisingly all in the same room) - The gentleman that is usually electronic stated that he can see and hear well and feels if he is in the room.

Working on an amendment to the bylaws with some guidelines i.e. 2/3's of members must be in the room (that prevents the entire group from being online.....), etc.....

Archived