The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Succession

Guest Patrick

The President resigned & there is nothing in the bylaws except:

when the office of the President shall become vacant, the House of Representatives shall elect an acting president.  The candidates for acting president shall be limited to the seven elected officers.   This duly elected officer shall become acting President, and shall serve until the next regularly scheduled election.

The Election Committee is given authority to manage elections.  Regular elections are date certain, but nothing else is mentioned.

The next House meeting is Nov. 20.

So between now and Nov. 20, as Chair of election, what actions should I take?  There appears to be 3 factions.

Of course having 3 factions is a problem.  The Federalist Papers warn ceaselessly about the dangers posed by factions.  From the other direction, it is popularly believed today that there can only be 2 factions, not 3.

Interestingly, the candidates are limited, but it doesn't prohibit write-ins, nor does it limit who may be elected.  Just saying.  

So between now and Nov. 20, as Chair of election, what actions should I take?  There appears to be 3 factions.

Cut up some ballot slips? Your bylaw isn't entirely clear whether all "seven elected officers" should be listed or if the ballot can list a subset of agreeable nominees. That will be up to the House to decide.

Thank you all.  There are 3 VPs representing 3 factions.   :)  The is no succession stated for President, only what I wrote above.

I'm assuming candidates will arise this week.  

There is an Executive Meeting of all except the resigned president Friday.  I'm not sure who should preside over the Executive meeting 

I asked to be there to initiate the Election Procedures:     The Elections Committee shall supervise the conduct of all elections of officers, members of the House of Representatives, delegates to conventions of the national union and to conventions of affiliates.   The Committee shall also insure the proper form of ballots and arrange for open meetings on a chapter basis to hear and discuss the candidates.   The Elections Committee shall be composed of one member from each Union chapter.

Thank you all.  There are 3 VPs representing 3 factions.   :)  The is no succession stated for President, only what I wrote above.

I'm assuming candidates will arise this week.  

There is an Executive Meeting of all except the resigned president Friday.  I'm not sure who should preside over the Executive meeting 

Generally, the first vice president would preside in the absence of the president. How are the vice presidents listed in your bylaws?

Archived