The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Private club

Guest Private

It is improper to have a yes/no vote in ballot elections. If your bylaws do not require a ballot vote, the sole candidate is declared elected.

If the bylaws did require a vote by ballot, would the chair's declaration as to the result be what they should go by?  I ask becuase I don't see where there's any continuing breach of the rules to invalidate any declared results.  The book is crystal clear that for/against is not applicable to ballot votes but it doesn't specify what to do when societies make this mistake (and many make it).

"A rule in the bylaws requiring that a vote—such as, for example, on the election of officers—be taken by (secret) ballot cannot be suspended, however, unless the bylaws so provide (see also Voting by Ballot, pp. 412–13)."  (RONR, 11th ed., p. 263.)

PS: See also page 251, lines 21-22.

"A rule in the bylaws requiring that a vote—such as, for example, on the election of officers—be taken by (secret) ballot cannot be suspended, however, unless the bylaws so provide (see also Voting by Ballot, pp. 412–13)."  (RONR, 11th ed., p. 263.)

PS: See also page 251, lines 21-22.

Is this in response to my question in post #3?  If so I have a followup question/comment.

It is, assuming I understood it.   :)

Fair enough.  Let me restate it based upon your citations, please.  Is it correct to think that since a for/against - yes/no vote was taken by ballot, and those options are improper/not applicable when it comes to an election, that they have not fulfilled the bylaw requirement (assuming there is one) to take a {proper} vote by ballot for the election?  

Fair enough.  Let me restate it based upon your citations, please.  Is it correct to think that since a for/against - yes/no vote was taken by ballot, and those options are improper/not applicable when it comes to an election, that they have not fulfilled the bylaw requirement (assuming there is one) to take a {proper} vote by ballot for the election?  

Well, I'm afraid I did misunderstand what you were asking.

If the bylaws require that an election be by ballot, and a ballot vote is, in fact, taken, I do not think that the improper use of "yes" and "no" boxes on the ballot will nullify the vote. As noted in RONR Official Interpretation 2006-5, "When voters are led to understand that they can vote against candidates in this fashion, their doing so must obviously be credited."

Well, I'm afraid I did misunderstand what you were asking.

If the bylaws require that an election be by ballot, and a ballot vote is, in fact, taken, I do not think that the improper use of "yes" and "no" boxes on the ballot will nullify the vote. As noted in RONR Official Interpretation 2006-5, "When voters are led to understand that they can vote against candidates in this fashion, their doing so must obviously be credited."

Thank you for your additional clarification.  It's very helpful.

Archived