The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot vote for visually impaired member

Lumpy52403

Elections in my organization are typically uncontested and thus done by acclamation.  We need to have a special election to fill some vacant positions, and at the previous meeting, there were multiple nominations for the same offices, so a ballot election is in order for the December meeting.  We have one member who is legally blind.  I have found nothing in RONR or our bylaws pertaining to assisting someone with a ballot vote.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this?  I certainly don't want to cause him any embarrassment or intrude on his privacy.

Although I am no longer an officer at the local level for this organization, I am a member of the chapter in question and also a district officer who oversees this chapter and two others.

Elections in my organization are typically uncontested and thus done by acclamation.  We need to have a special election to fill some vacant positions, and at the previous meeting, there were multiple nominations for the same offices, so a ballot election is in order for the December meeting.  We have one member who is legally blind.  I have found nothing in RONR or our bylaws pertaining to assisting someone with a ballot vote.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this?  I certainly don't want to cause him any embarrassment or intrude on his privacy.

Although I am no longer an officer at the local level for this organization, I am a member of the chapter in question and also a district officer who oversees this chapter and two others.

I would have the chair ask the member privately if he would like assistance completing his ballot and let that member choose someone he trusts to do so.  I think the chair will need to announce that someone is assisting this member so no one raises a fuss later.

I advise societies to adopt rules that assist those who are disabled in some ways and are unable to rise, see, etc......

I agree with Mr. Mervosh's very good advice.

In addition, the reason for a secret ballot is to allow members to vote in secret without knowing how other members voted.  However, nothing prohibits a member from disclosing how he voted.  If the member with limited vision is willing to disclose to another member how he wants to vote, I see nothing wrong with that.  You are all free to shout from the rooftops how you voted or even to show your marked ballot around before placing it in the ballot  box.  It's up to you whether you want to keep your vote secret unless you have a rule to the contrary.  The point is that you cannot be compelled to disclose how you voted except, perhaps in the limited case of moving to reconsider, in which case the mover must state that he voted with the prevailing side.  But, you are perfectly free to voluntarily disclose how you voted... or how you want to vote.

Edited to add:  I am not aware of a rule in RONR that prohibits one member from assisting another member in voting.

Archived