The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary Pro Tem - Voting Rights

keefe

We recently held elections and our Nominating Committee was unable to find anyone willing to be nominated for Secretary.  Until someone comes forward willing to be Secretary we will have a Board member at each meeting be Secretary Pro Tem, in our organization the Secretary does not have "voting power".  Our bylaws don't speak to a Secretary Pro Tem not having "voting power" nor am I able to find anything in RONR.  Can someone please offer thoughts/wisdom as to whether the member serving as Secretary Pro Tem would still having their "voting power" or not?  My thought is that they would still have it but I am curious to hear any input.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, keefe said:

We recently held elections and our Nominating Committee was unable to find anyone willing to be nominated for Secretary. 

Until someone comes forward willing to be Secretary we will have a Board member at each meeting be Secretary Pro Tem.

In our organization the Secretary does not have "voting power".   -- Our bylaws don't speak to a Secretary Pro Tem not having "voting power" nor am I able to find anything in RONR. 

Can someone please offer thoughts/wisdom as to whether the member serving as Secretary Pro Tem would still having their "voting power" or not? 

You did not cite your rule's exact wording (the noun in particular), but only paraphrased your rule.

So we do not know if your rule refers to

(a.) the elected office of Secretary;

(b.) any and all parties who function as the secretary during a proper meeting, regardless of all the offices held by this party.

I will lay odds.

• Your rule applies to the office of Secretary.

• Your rule does not apply to anyone who isn't holding the office of Secretary.

To repeat: someone will have read your customized rule, and interpret your customized rule.

Archived