The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tabling a motion that has been seconded, but not voted on

Guest Christine Carney

Guest Christine Carney

Is it possible for a voting member to ask that a motion, they did not make,  be tabled after it has been seconded, and before any discussion takes place on the motion?  I have always thought that once a motion has been made and seconded it is up for debate and then a vote.  Thanks.

A member that has been recognized by the chair can use the floor for any proper purpose, including making of secondary motions that are in order at that time.

But note that the member who made the motion has preference in recognition if he claims the floor in a timely manner (RONR Page 31).   So if the maker of the motion has something to say about it, he gets his chance before anyone else can move to postpone, lay on the table or what have you.   If a member is jumping up and shouting "I move to table that motion!", that is not in order, and most likely the member is misusing the motion lay on the table (As Hieu pointed out, see FAQ 12 and 13 on this site).

Guest Christine Carney

Thanks, I think I understand now.  The person objection to the original motion needs to object before debate has started on the original, and the objection needs to be voted on before the first motion is considered.  If the objection is defeated then the first motion can be voted on, right?

Objection to consideration is not the same thing as laying on the table, and using the motion to lay on the table when you intend to kill the question is out of order.  The motion to lay on the table is used when something urgent has arisen requiring that present business be set aside.  Objection to consideration of the question is used if it is believed it would be destructive to the organization for the motion even to be debated.

2 hours ago, Guest Christine Carney said:

Thanks, I think I understand now.  The person objection to the original motion needs to object before debate has started on the original, and the objection needs to be voted on before the first motion is considered.  If the objection is defeated then the first motion can be voted on, right?

Let's slow down here and back up a bit.  I think we are not sure what you are asking because of the non-standard terminology you are using.  I suspect that by using the term "table" in your original question you mean to "postpone" to a definite time, such as the next meeting.  That is a different motion with a different purpose and effect from the motion to"lay on the table".  An "objection to consideration" is still an entirely different motion subject to different rules.  So, we need to know what you mean by "table" and "object".

The motions to "postpone" and to "lay on the table" can be made at any time while the main motion is pending and regardless of whether there has been any debate on it. 

The motion "object to consideration" must be made before there has been any debate.

So, if you can tell us exactly what you mean when you say to "table" and to "object", maybe we can help you more.

Edited by Richard Brown

If a member believes that it would be strongly undesirable for the motion to be considered (for example, it is offensive) then, before any debate has begun, the member rises (without seeking recognition) and states something like "Mr President, I object to the consideration of the motion".  A vote is immediately called for, and  a two-thirds vote AGAINST consideration is required to prevent consideration of the motion.    If the chair is reasonably certain that the member jumping up to "table" the motion intends something like this, he can assume the motion to object and put the question immediately.   However, I would note that situations where objection to consideration is warranted are few and far between. Most genuine motions can benefit from some debate, and if the assembly in the end decides it would not like to make a direct statement on the subject, they can adopt the motion to postpone indefinitely. 

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Under Roberts can the Chair, (President, Etc) refuse to address a motion on the floor because he or she does not want it after a member makes the motion?  And when a motion is seconded, can the Chair refuse to take a vote and Table it until the next meeting for a motion that has been Seconded on the floor?

4 minutes ago, Guest Primetimeups said:

Hi,

Under Roberts can the Chair, (President, Etc) refuse to address a motion on the floor because he or she does not want it after a member makes the motion?  And when a motion is seconded, can the Chair refuse to take a vote and Table it until the next meeting for a motion that has been Seconded on the floor?

Please ask new questions by creating a new topic, as requested in the message "IMPORTANT Read This First" at the top of the forum, rather than tacking onto a four year old topic.  Thanks.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.