The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How Far Is A Resolution Applicable Outside The Organization?

TheGrandRascal

If an organization adopts a resolution -- howsoever important --  and assuming it is adopted validly, just how far (and under what circumstances) is that resolution valid or applicable outside of its own organization or membership?

(Be careful here, boys -- the organization I'm specifically thinking of is the IAU, and if that doesn't freeze you dead in your tracks, it certainly should, because although the furor over Pluto has reduced considerably, it most certainly has NOT died completely! I think Pluto is a planet!)   :)

That's easy.

There is no application.

That is, no one outside the organization is bound to obey any internal resolution of an organization of which the person is not a member.

Extreme example.

• If the D.A.R. adopts a resolution, "That I [Kim Goldsworthy] am General George Washington", no one outside of the D.A.R. need acknowledge the existence of such a resolution, never mind obey it or apply it.

• Tomorrow, the Sons of the Revolution could adopt a counter-resolution, "That I [Kim Goldsworthy] never was, and never will be, General George Washington," the D.A.R. need not acknowledge the existence of their resolution. Never mind obey it or apply it.

5 hours ago, TheGrandRascal said:

If an organization adopts a resolution -- howsoever important --  and assuming it is adopted validly, just how far (and under what circumstances) is that resolution valid or applicable outside of its own organization or membership?

(Be careful here, boys -- the organization I'm specifically thinking of is the IAU, and if that doesn't freeze you dead in your tracks, it certainly should, because although the furor over Pluto has reduced considerably, it most certainly has NOT died completely! I think Pluto is a planet!)   :)

I suspect you should be thinking more in terms of the extent of its influence rather than its validity or applicability, but in any case, this isn't a question of parliamentary law.

• 2 weeks later...
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Kim Goldsworthy said:

That's easy.

There is no application.

That is, no one outside the organization is bound to obey any internal resolution of an organization of which the person is not a member.

Alack and alas! As much as I'd love to accept your answer, I cannot, because there is a counteranswer. My reply must be that a rule or resolution has only such force or binding power outside the organization which adopts it, as the outside organization chooses to grant it. In the concrete, this means (for example) that if the United States Congress, by international treaty or otherwise, has granted to the IAU the power or authority to make decisions or determinations in matters astronomical, then any such determination must be held to have the force of law within the United States of America!

I guess the real question that must be asked (but which, alas! is not a parliamentary question, but merely one of fact) is whether the decisions of the IAU in fact have this status or not. How to go about ascertaining the answer to this question is more than I would know!

One example (as best I understand the question/issue) of influence/control far outside the organization is the decisions/actions of the Accounting profession. When the accountants change the accounting rules, those changes often have a huge impact on corporations, government regulated entities, etc. Many government statutes and regulations require compliance with the rules of the accounting profession.

On Monday, June 06, 2016 at 0:51 PM, Godelfan said:

Decisions of legislative bodies have much applicability outside the legislature.

Ahem: that depends on the type of decison! A "decision" to take a 2-hour recess isn't going to have much effect outside the legislature; but a "decision" to raise the sales tax rate would have a most serious impact outside the legislature, indeed! But then, when the body is a legislature, the latter type of motion is called an "Act," (which makes a difference!) whereas the former is not.

Archived