The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Members

Guest Kathy

I really appreciate your response. I attempted to read and understand Roberts Rules, which is above my level of understanding and interpretation. As chair of the nominating committee and understanding that our church is suppose to follow Roberts Rules, I want to know that I am guiding the committee in the right direction, as we begin filling the positions. If you could provide any guidance on the following questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Is the treasurer automatically a member of the stewardship committee and act as a voting member on the stewardship/financial committee and what is there role in relation to the stewardship/finance committee? 

2. Can a member serve on multiple committees that deal with the finances? (i.e. can a one person serve on the finance committee and the counting committee and/or audit committee)?

The answers to those questions, if there are answers, would need to be found in your rules.  RONR doesn't obligate you to put officers on any committees ex-officio, or does it require a stewardship committee.  As for serving on multiple committees about finances, there is no rule in RONR, but your own rules could (and, in some circumstances likely should) create such prohibitions.  

25 minutes ago, AiC212 said:

Q1. Is the treasurer automatically a member of the stewardship committee? And act as a voting member on the stewardship/financial committee? And what is their role in relation to the stewardship/finance committee? 

Q2. Can a member serve on multiple committees that deal with the finances? (i.e. can a one person serve on the finance committee and the counting committee and/or audit committee)?

A1. There is no such term as "stewardship committee" in Robert's Rules of Order". So, there is no parliamentary rule regarding any automatic anything regarding a committee of that name.

Under Robert's Rules of Order, the treasurer is never automatically placed on any committee.

There is no guideline in Robert's Rules of Order regarding "roles" of a "treasurer" on a "stewarship" committee.

A2. Yes. A person may serve on any number of committees simultaneously. Finance-related, or not.

Archived