The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Published Minutes

DJGarvin

16 minutes ago, DJGarvin said:

Statement was made by an "experienced" individual that if the minutes of the previous meeting at "published" they do not have to be read.

I believe that member is referring to minutes which have been "distributed" to the other members prior to the meeting.  However, on the demand of a single member, the minutes still have to re read aloud even if they have been previously distributed.

Edited to add:  "Publication" of an assembly's proceedings is discussed on pages 475-476.  That is not the same thing as distributing the minutes to the members in advance.

For having the minutes read on the request of a single member, see this provision from page 355:

"Reading and Approval of Minutes. The chair says, "The Secretary will read the minutes." However, in organizations where copies of the minutes of each previous meeting as prepared by the secretary are sent to all members in advance, the chair announces that this has been done, and the actual reading of them aloud is omitted unless any member then requests that they be read."

I'm curious:  Does your "parliamentarian" have a copy of the 11th edition of RONR?   Do you?

I knew that if a member requests they be read they must be

I send the minutes to the members before the meeting, there are some that so not have email so the Chair mails them a copy

The term distributed is what threw me off, I thought it was something I did not know.

She says she does, but I have never seen it

I have the 11th edition.

Archived