The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Blocking one person from being nominated

Guest Butch

What if he is not eligible to hold that position?  If not, at what point would the presiding officer make such a ruling?  It's crazy to think they have to wait until the guy is elected in order to rule him ineligible.

(I'm not suggesting that's why this presiding officer said what he said.)

17 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

What if he is not eligible to hold that position?  If not, at what point would the presiding officer make such a ruling?  It's crazy to think they have to wait until the guy is elected in order to rule him ineligible.

I agree. Not being eligible would be a legitimate reason for not allowing the nomination. I thought of that after I posted my comment but didn't go back and edit it because nothing in the original post indicated that to be the situation.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
2 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

Assuming the bylaws say only that "a Person X cannot hold Office Y," on what grounds would the chair refuse the nomination? Dilatory?

9 minutes ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

Assuming the bylaws say only that "a Person X cannot hold Office Y," on what grounds would the chair refuse the nomination? Dilatory?

Making up bylaw wording is hazardous.  If, in the chair's opinion the bylaws say he's not eligible to hold that office, he can rule the nomination out of order. I think it's that simple. Of course his ruling can be appealed in most cases.  And again, as Mr. Brown notes, that might not be the case here, we just don't know.

Edited by George Mervosh

And to be able to say someone is ineligible to be nominated or elected or serve in office, the bylaws had better be transparently specific and clear.   Such as "Only members of the Association may serve in office".

Don't attempt to define general qualifications ("qualified", "intelligent", "hard working" or the like) or you will end up with endless arguments in specific cases.  Those judgments are for the voters to consider and vote accordingly.

Edited by jstackpo
Add a few words

18 hours ago, Guest Butch said:

"Anyone in the state can be nominated, except him."

You know what?

That sounds like an insult.

It doesn't come across as an objective measure of qualifications for office, nor does it come across a a rule citation.

"Anyone in the state"? Really? <_<

24 minutes ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

You know what?

That sounds like an insult.

It doesn't come across as an objective measure of qualifications for office, nor does it come across a a rule citation.

"Anyone in the state"? Really? <_<

I agree with Mr. Goldsworthy, but, as Mr. Mervosh correctly pointed out, there is a possibility that for some reason this person does not meet the qualifications in the bylaws and that is the reason for the chair's statement. We just don't know.  The  chair can rule  someone not qualified for office only if that person fails to meet the qualifications in the bylaws.  The personal feelings of the chair should never be a factor.  If a presiding officer lets his personal feelings dictate what he does, he is subject to censure, discipline or removal from office.

I suspect there is something going on here that we don't know about.  What about it, Guest Butch?

One more question:  Did this really happen?  And if so, was the person's name ultimately put in nomination?

Keep in mind that unless your bylaws prohibit it, this person can still be elected as a write in candidate.

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited last paragraph

On 11/30/2016 at 8:48 AM, George Mervosh said:

This ruling of the chair is not in response to a point of order, but (I think I'm forgetting, maybe) is the chair here obliged to give his reasons, and if so, do they go in the minutes?

2 hours ago, Guest Nancy N. said:

This ruling of the chair is not in response to a point of order, but (I think I'm forgetting, maybe) is the chair here obliged to give his reasons, and if so, do they go in the minutes?

Yes to both questions. I do not think the fact that the chair made the ruling on his own initiative makes any difference.

17 hours ago, Guest Nancy N. said:

14 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

Yes to both questions. I do not think the fact that the chair made the ruling on his own initiative makes any difference.

Thanks; please, what would you cite?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.