The Official RONR Q & A Forums

president

Guest Peter Silva

RONR has no prohibition against one person holding multiple positions, but common sense should probably be allowed to prevail.

For instance, having one person serve as president and vice president is probably a bad idea for reasons that should be obvious. However, some organizations explicitly provide for a position of Secretary-Treasurer, which is filled by one person.  Others have been known to elect a single person to be both Secretary and Treasurer, from time to time or as a matter of custom.  That is probably the most commonly seen combination.

Before you try it, check your bylaws to make sure multiple offices are not forbidden.  Bear in mind that someone who holds multiple offices is still just one person and has just one vote.  He or she is also just one person when counting for a quorum, so check for undesired side effects with respect to the quorum language in your bylaws.

Agreeing with Mr. Novosielski, I like the way one of our more active members used to put it: "You count heads, not hats".  I've got a closet full of hats and caps, but when there is a, um, "discussion" with my wife, I still get only one vote.  All those other hats I wear don't count for squat when it comes to voting. :)

1 hour ago, Gary Novosielski said:

However, some organizations explicitly provide for a position of Secretary-Treasurer, which is filled by one person.  Others have been known to elect a single person to be both Secretary and Treasurer, from time to time or as a matter of custom.  That is probably the most commonly seen combination.

While I agree with Mr. Novosielski, but for clarity, unless prohibited in the bylaws, a person may hold the separate offices of Secretary and Treasurer at the same time.  I think we are in agreement with that. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.