The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointment to a seat

Guest Alex

I was asked to sit on a lodging tax board in April and was not voted in until October missing the ability to vote on the budget for next year. They’re excuse was they were too busy. I thought I should be appointed to protect the interests of those I represent. Plus, can I have what happened recorded in the minutes?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

There is nothing in the rules of order that says the board has to vote you in because you thought you should be appointed to protect the interests of those you represent. You can move to have whatever you like put into the minutes, but a majority has to agree with you.

43 minutes ago, Guest Alex said:

I was asked to sit on a lodging tax board in April and was not voted in until October missing the ability to vote on the budget for next year. They’re excuse was they were too busy. I thought I should be appointed to protect the interests of those I represent. Plus, can I have what happened recorded in the minutes?

The minutes record what was done, not what you think should have been done.  I don't see anything that should go into them based on the rules in RONR and your facts.

What happened likely would be recorded in the minutes. If you were voted in in October, presumably, that vote would be recorded in the October minutes. In and of itself, that would show you were not voted in in April. If you believe the delay was purposely contrived to prevent you from participating in the budget process, that belief is not something that ordinarily would be recorded in minutes.

1 hour ago, Guest Alex said:

Edited by Tom Coronite

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.