The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Retroactively applying a policy.

Guest Jason

So in an organization I am a part of it was recently discovered that a motion that was made and voted on 6 years ago has been not adheared to during the last 6 years.  My question is, is the organization required to comply with the original motion and retroactivly “make it right”?  

23 minutes ago, Guest Jason said:

So in an organization I am a part of it was recently discovered that a motion that was made and voted on 6 years ago has been not adheared to during the last 6 years.  My question is, is the organization required to comply with the original motion and retroactivly “make it right”?  

The organization is certainly required to comply with the motion going forward.

Whether and to what extent the organization is required to change its prior actions in order to comply with the motion depends on the facts of the particular case, such as what the motion is, what those actions are, and whether it is possible to change those actions.

4 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

This is not actually retroactivity.  The rule has been in place for 6 years; it is not being adopted now and applied to the past.  In my opinion, therefore, it should be complied with in the past to the extent possible, but that is likely to be a rather small extent.

It would depend on the rule.

It was in regards to uniforms being purchased for new members coming in.   As much as I would like to be able to make it right and apply it retroactively going back to 2012, the reality of it is that the cost may be too much.  Something needs to be done however because I see it as a failure of leadership if emotion is made and voted on in the business meeting but is not carried out.

• Dan Honemann changed the title to Retroactively applying a policy.
9 hours ago, Guest Jason said:

It was in regards to uniforms being purchased for new members coming in.   As much as I would like to be able to make it right and apply it retroactively going back to 2012, the reality of it is that the cost may be too much.

It would seem to me that the best course of action would be to amend the motion to specify an effective date, so that there is no question on this subject. A motion previously adopted may be amended by a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.