The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can i make a motion under new business not on the agenda

Guest Darryl

You don't even have to "ask permission", per the rules in RONR.  You just do it.

However if the agenda (a listing of what motions are to come up under the various headings of the Standard Order of Business - see p. 26) was adopted at the start of the meeting, you would need to either move to suspend the rules and offer your motion (2/3 vote), or move to amend the agenda first to include your motion.  Same result, of course.

1 hour ago, jstackpo said:

However if the agenda (a listing of what motions are to come up under the various headings of the Standard Order of Business - see p. 26) was adopted at the start of the meeting, you would need to either move to suspend the rules and offer your motion (2/3 vote), or move to amend the agenda first to include your motion.  Same result, of course.

Why can’t the member simply make his motion during New Business, after all other items listed on the agenda are completed?

10 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

Why can’t the member simply make his motion during New Business, after all other items listed on the agenda are completed?

Doesn't the initial adoption of the agenda preclude introducing unagendaed items (without the extra step of suspending rules, &c.) ?  Isn't that what an agenda is for, to specify what will come up? If not, why not?

'Course there might be local rules about this we don't know about.

If specific items are listed under the heading of "New Business" on an adopted agenda, I suppose this may give rise to an inference that nothing else may be proposed. It indicates to me that the assembly isn't using the term "New Business" as defined in RONR. After all, whatever is listed on an adopted agenda, even if listed under New Business" isn't "New Business".  🙂

20 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

If specific items are listed under the heading of "New Business" on an adopted agenda, I suppose this may give rise to an inference that nothing else may be proposed. It indicates to me that the assembly isn't using the term "New Business" as defined in RONR. After all, whatever is listed on an adopted agenda, even if listed under New Business" isn't "New Business".  🙂

Dan, would you elaborate on the portion of your comment that I have bolded?  I think I recall a post you made recently to the effect that all specific items of business listed on an adopted agenda, even if listed in a section titled "New Business",  are actually "general orders" as opposed to "new business".  I had never looked at it that way, but your statement made sense to me (and still does).  I think perhaps some elaboration might be helpful.  

This seems especially so in light of the statement we frequently make on here that even when specific items of "new business" are listed on an agenda, other new business may still be introduced even though not included on the agenda.  This question.... whether items of "new business" not listed on the agenda may be introduced without amending the agenda or suspending the rules.... comes up often enough on this forum that I really believe it warrants further clarification.

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited the 2nd sentence to clarify that I am referring to an ADOPTED agenda.

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Just following up on this, would they be general orders and/or special orders?

3 hours ago, jstackpo said:

Doesn't the initial adoption of the agenda preclude introducing unagendaed items (without the extra step of suspending rules, &c.) ?  Isn't that what an agenda is for, to specify what will come up? If not, why not?

On the contrary, my understanding is that the purpose of an agenda is to specify the order in which items of business will be considered and to ensure that the most important items of business are considered first, not to actually prevent the introduction of items not on the agenda (unless the assembly has adopted a rule to that effect).

3 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Unless the assembly has actually adopted a rule of order providing as much, however, I do not think this inference (while understandable) is correct.

I agree that items included on an agenda are not properly understood as “New Business” in the sense RONR uses that term.

Edited by Josh Martin

Well, I don't think that any rule in RONR itself prevents the offering of new business after all items on an adopted agenda have been disposed of.

If no time for adjournment of a meeting has been established, or if such a time has been established but has not as yet arrived, then (unless and until the assembly adopts a motion to adjourn) it seems to me that members are free to introduce any new items of business, and the chair should inquire if any member wishes to do so before declaring the meeting adjourned without the adoption of a motion to adjourn.

Related to this thread, I’ve wondered: "What may be listed under the topic of New Business on an agenda distributed in advance?"  When I recently had to call a Special Meeting, we did list some items from the call of the meeting under New Business. But for a Regular Meeting, is it ever appropriate to list items under New Business?

For my HOA board, it has been customary for board members to be able to ask the community manager (who prepares the agenda) to include items under New Business, but now I’m thinking that isn’t proper… unless there are rules specifying under what conditions they are allowed. And I’m assuming those would be Standing Rules, since the preparation of an advance agenda is an administrative task – but I could probably be convinced to think it’s a Special Rule of Order.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

An unadopted agenda is merely a guide, and as such, there is no point quibbling over what is listed under what heading. A meeting running under the standard order of business has no agenda at all, and any motion that is proper for the assembly to take up may be made under the heading of New Business.

10 hours ago, Ray Harwood said:

Related to this thread, I’ve wondered: "What may be listed under the topic of New Business on an agenda distributed in advance?"  When I recently had to call a Special Meeting, we did list some items from the call of the meeting under New Business. But for a Regular Meeting, is it ever appropriate to list items under New Business?

The only items of business that may be included in an agenda for a special meeting are items of business which have been specified in the call of the meeting. The adoption of an agenda listing these items will make each one of them either a special or general order, depending upon whether or not a particular hour is assigned for it to be taken up.

As far as the rules in RONR are concerned, listing specific items of business in an agenda for any kind of meeting under a heading of "New Business" simply indicates a misunderstanding of the nature of an agenda, and what is accomplished by its adoption. A careful reading of what is said on pages 371-75 in RONR (11th ed.) is advisable.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.