Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting by the Chair


Guest Pat D
 Share

Recommended Posts

As chair of a six member council, I would prefer to only vote when my vote would make a difference. However, given that it is an even numbered council my vote can only be used to effect a tie.  When I don't vote the clerks records it as "abstained". I would prefer that I not be mentioned in the vote tally at all unless I vote.  Is it within the rules of Roberts Rules of Order to not include me in the vote tally unless I choose to vote.

thanks, Pat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Guest Pat D said:

However, given that it is an even numbered council my vote can only be used to effect a tie.

This is not true, unless everyone comes to every meeting, and no one but you ever abstains.

 

12 minutes ago, Guest Pat D said:

I would prefer that I not be mentioned in the vote tally at all unless I vote.  Is it within the rules of Roberts Rules of Order to not include me in the vote tally unless I choose to vote.

 

1 minute ago, Guest Pat D said:

voice vote

On a voice vote, the minutes should simply reflect if the motion was adopted or not. No tally should be included. Even if rising, how an individual voted should not be included; that's only included when voting by roll call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chris Harrison said:

How is the vote taken?  Voice vote?  Show of hands?  Roll Call?  Generally speaking though, with one exception, the minutes should not be reflecting who abstained in the first place.

 

3 minutes ago, Guest Pat D said:

voice vote

Guest Pat D, is this a public body of some sort?  If so, do your rules or state open meetings laws (sunshine laws) require that all  votes on substantive motions be record votes?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a town council.  Our minutes always list how each member voted. Given the following excerpt from our state law, is this really necessary?

Minutes shall be in writing and shall include (a) the date, time, and location of the meeting; (b) the members of the public body recorded as present and absent; and (c) a summary of the discussion on matters proposed, deliberated or decided, and a record of any votes taken.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a town council.  Our minutes always list the votes by name and they put "abstain' next to mine even though I don't abstain, I just choose not to vote.  Our state code on minutes is:

Minutes shall be in writing and shall include (a) the date, time, and location of the meeting; (b) the members of the public body recorded as present and absent; and (c) a summary of the discussion on matters proposed, deliberated or decided, and a record of any votes taken.

 

It doesn't say that the record of votes taken must list each person and how they voted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Guest Pat D said:

It is a town council.  Our minutes always list how each member voted. Given the following excerpt from our state law, is this really necessary?

Minutes shall be in writing and shall include (a) the date, time, and location of the meeting; (b) the members of the public body recorded as present and absent; and (c) a summary of the discussion on matters proposed, deliberated or decided, and a record of any votes taken.

 

Questions regarding the interpretation of applicable law are beyond the scope of this forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Guest Pat D said:

Our minutes always list the votes by name and they put "abstain' next to mine even though I don't abstain, I just choose not to vote. 

Concurring with Mr. Martin about interpretation of state law, I will just add that, so far as RONR is concenreed, choosing not to vote is abstaining, whether or not you say, "I abstain."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...