The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Right of a member to appoint a proxy or agent to transcribe the deliberations in a general member's meeting

Guest G Bosque

If proxies are permitted, i.e. a member can transfer his vote to someone to act on the members behalf, that person receiving the proxy and attending could normally take notes.   Conversely, a member does not have a right while attending meeting, bring a stenographer or secretary and let that person take notes on the member's behalf.  The majority could permit this, but the member does not have a right to do that.

Note that, under RONR, proxies are not permitted unless required by applicable statute or permitted in the bylaws.

10 hours ago, J. J. said:

If proxies are permitted, i.e. a member can transfer his vote to someone to act on the members behalf, that person receiving the proxy and attending could normally take notes.   Conversely, a member does not have a right while attending meeting, bring a stenographer or secretary and let that person take notes on the member's behalf.  The majority could permit this, but the member does not have a right to do that.

Note that, under RONR, proxies are not permitted unless required by applicable statute or permitted in the bylaws.

Wouldn't you agree that any member in attendance would be permitted to take notes during a meeting, whether proxy voting were allowed or not?

1 hour ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Wouldn't you agree that any member in attendance would be permitted to take notes during a meeting, whether proxy voting were allowed or not?

Under normal circumstances, yes; there is no rule in RONR prohibiting a member from taking notes. However, the majority could decide to prohibit the taking of notes.  I would treat it as a question of privilege of the assembly. 

A member has a right to attend meetings, enter into debate (on a debatable motion, without 2/3 curtailing debate, et c.), and vote on a question before the assembly.  He doesn't have a right, created by RONR, to take notes.  I can see situations, e.g. to protect the accused in a trial, where the assembly may prohibit note taking. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.