The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nonmember rights to speak

Guest TT58

What are the rules regarding the ability of a manager to participate in a condo boards meetings, debates and deliberations? Is it appropriate for them to interrupt a board member who is speaking or to participate in board discussions? The By-laws require us to use Roberts Rules of Order.

It is quite common for non-board members, such as an executive director, to actively participate in board meetings, sometimes even as fully as regular board members except for the right to vote. It is up to the board itself to decide what rights and privileges to grant to such a non-member.

Agreeing with the above, it is never appropriate for a non-member to interrupt a member who is speaking. It is very rarely appropriate for a member to do so, for the purpose of making a motion. Since non-members cannot make motions, they shouldn't be interrupting. If there is a rule in place, of course, letting them make motions, then interrupting for that purpose could be acceptable (but it's a very limited purpose).

5 hours ago, Guest TT58 said:

What are the rules regarding the ability of a manager to participate in a condo boards meetings, debates and deliberations? Is it appropriate for them to interrupt a board member who is speaking or to participate in board discussions? The By-laws require us to use Roberts Rules of Order.

Agreeing with the others and supplementing my answer above, no, it is not appropriate for the manager or anyone else to interrupt a member who has the floor unless it is to raise a point of order or some other privileged motion which permits an interruption. 

In my previous post, I said it is common for boards to allow someone such as the executive director (or manager) to attend and participate in board meetings.  Although the board can grant such a non member whatever privileges it wants to, short of voting, it is more common for such non members to attend and to participate for the purpose of giving a report and to be present to answer questions and provide information.   Other than that, they usually just sit quietly.   Your board can decide for itself what the role of this "manager" should be at board meetings or if he should be allowed to attend at all.

No they didn't interrupt to make a motion. They interrupted the board member during the owners forum while the member was talking to the homeowner and took over the conversation. Let me be clear, we have never had a manager do this before. Our By-laws do not make the manager a board member and directly reference Roberts to be our guide. This manager actively interrupts and argues with board members while they are discussing issues. This has never happened in the past. I was hoping someone could steer me to the rules regarding nonmembers  speaking. My understanding is they can answer questions, can be invited to speak,such as giving a report, but can never participate in debate or discussion without a 2/3 vote of the members.  If anyone can clarify I'd really appreciate it. Thank you

20 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

The chairman should have interrupted the manager to remind her or him that someone else has the floor. In a formal setting, the chair would say, "The Manager will come to order. Please be seated [or silent] until you are recognized."

This is the heart of the matter.  Interrupting someone who has the floor is prohibited except in a small number of specific circumstances, and this is true even if the interruptor is a member.  If the chair does not put a stop to it, and the manager attempts to interrupt, the member who has the floor, or any member, should raise a point of order that the interruptor does not have the floor, and should do so before he gets five syllables out.

1 hour ago, Guest TT58 said:

No they didn't interrupt to make a motion. They interrupted the board member during the owners forum while the member was talking to the homeowner and took over the conversation. Let me be clear, we have never had a manager do this before. Our By-laws do not make the manager a board member and directly reference Roberts to be our guide. This manager actively interrupts and argues with board members while they are discussing issues. This has never happened in the past. I was hoping someone could steer me to the rules regarding nonmembers  speaking. My understanding is they can answer questions, can be invited to speak,such as giving a report, but can never participate in debate or discussion without a 2/3 vote of the members.  If anyone can clarify I'd really appreciate it. Thank you

You will find the rules regarding nonmembers rights (or, more accurately, the absence thereof) in RONR, 11th ed., on pages 644-45 and 648; and on page 263. As to the footnote on page 263, you will recall that a two-thirds vote is required to suspend rules of order. 

After you have reviewed what is said on these pages, let us know if you have any further questions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.