The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Allowed participation of members at executive committee meeting

user

Your bylaws say they can attend. They can attend. Unless your bylaws give them any other rights at the executive committee meetings, they have no other rights as they are not members of the body that is meeting.

The executive committee can adopt a motion to allow non-members (that is,people who are not members of the executive committee) to speak at the meeting or, by a 2/3 vote, suspend the rules and allow them to participate in debate. Page 263 states that the rules may not be suspended to allow non-members to vote, as this would breach a fundamental principle of parliamentary law.

Edited by Atul Kapur
Expanded last sentence

3 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

Your bylaws say they can attend. They can attend. Unless your bylaws give them any other rights at the executive committee meetings, they have no other rights as they are not members of the body that is meeting.

The executive committee can adopt a motion to allow non-members (that is,people who are not members of the executive committee) to speak at the meeting or, by a 2/3 vote, allow them to participate in debate.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

The executive committee can adopt a motion to allow non-members (that is,people who are not members of the executive committee) to speak at the meeting or, by a 2/3 vote, suspend the rules and allow them to participate in debate. Page 263 states that the rules may not be suspended to allow non-members to vote, as this would breach a fundamental principle of parliamentary law.

Thank you for your edit also. Very helpful.

Something for you, Mr or Ms User, to worry about is whether the bylaw "allowing" rule would prevent the execomm from excluding general member at all.  I'm thinking of Executive Sessions (page 95) where sensitive matters might be discussed that belong exclusively in the Execomm.  Best to amend the bylaws and remove the "right to attend" rule -- the execomm can still then allow members to attend, but only on an individual basis, and can kick them out when appropriate.

2 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

"except when in executive session". NAP has such a bylaw provision.

Seems to me that rule swings the pendulum too far the other way.  I am sure (if it wasn't so early in the morning) I could think of a situation where the Board, or Execom, would want a non-member to show up at an Executive Session -- to give testimony, for example.

6 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

I could think of a situation where the Board, or Execom, would want a non-member to show up at an Executive Session -- to give testimony, for example.

Non-board members may always be invited or granted special permission to attend. That is different from having the right to attend.

Edited to add: See pages 95 - 96 of RONR.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

I would think (following in the footsteps of my English teacher dad) that a rule that read "May attend ... except [special situation]"  means that someone may NOT attend when the special situation applies. Otherwise what is the meaning of "exception"?

Here's the exact quote from the NAP Bylaws, Article VII, Section 3.C:

Observers. With the exception of executive sessions, members of NAP may attend meetings of the NAP Board of Directors as observers.

I don't see how a majority vote to allow a non board-member in (or even a 2/3 suspend-the-rules vote) could override a bylaw provision.

2 hours ago, jstackpo said:

I would think (following in the footsteps of my English teacher dad) that a rule that read "May attend ... except [special situation]"  means that someone may NOT attend when the special situation applies. Otherwise what is the meaning of "exception"?

And perhaps also using the general principles of bylaw interpretation?

7 hours ago, jstackpo said:

Seems to me that rule swings the pendulum too far the other way.  I am sure (if it wasn't so early in the morning) I could think of a situation where the Board, or Execom, would want a non-member to show up at an Executive Session -- to give testimony, for example.

That rule would not prevent their attendance if the Board desired it.  It only removes their ability to attend an executive session as a matter of right.

• 2 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.