The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Handling of ballots and votes

RM Sr

In an upcoming vote a name will be presented for the organization's members to vote on.  The vote will be "yes" or "no".  How are the ballots handled and how are the votes counted for individuals that have written in the name of someone other than the the name that has been presented if a 2/3 majority vote is required?

Thank you in advance for your assistance and wisdom.

3 minutes ago, RM Sr said:

In an upcoming vote a name will be presented for the organization's members to vote on.  The vote will be "yes" or "no".  How are the ballots handled and how are the votes counted for individuals that have written in the name of someone other than the the name that has been presented if a 2/3 majority vote is required?

Yes/No ballots are not proper at all.  Don't use them.

"In elections, "for" and "against" spaces or boxes should not be used. They are applicable only with respect to votes on motions. In an election, a voter can vote against one candidate only by voting for another who has been nominated or by writing in the name of another candidate. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 414

Why is a 2/3 vote required, just out of curiosity?

Curious if the "upcoming vote" is to remove someone from the board. Although you did mention that other names might be written in.

I thought elections (using ballot voting) required a simple majority for election.

But as you can tell by my forum moniker, I'm new at this.

Edited by Newbie
added thought

2 hours ago, RM Sr said:

Please elaborate and tell us more about exactly what is being voted on and how the voting is expected to be conducted.  You have provided us with precious little to base any answers on.

2 hours ago, RM Sr said:

How are the ballots handled and how are the votes counted for individuals that have written in the name of someone other than the the name that has been presented if a 2/3 majority vote is required?

I concur with Mr. Mervosh concerning the impropriety of a “yes/no” note in an election. Instead, members should vote for the candidate of their choice, either by placing a mark by the appropriate name or by writing a name. If another name is written in, it is counted as a vote for that candidate.

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

I thought elections (using ballot voting) required a simple majority for election.

They do, unless the organization’s rules provide otherwise, as the OP states is the case here.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.