The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Closed Meeting last minute

firefighter44

We're a 501C3 Non profit organization that has monthly meeting. (backdrop information)

The day before the meeting (after normal business hours)the President, with out any prior talks send an email saying it will be a closed board meeting.

The President said that a special exception would be given to an individual, while this individual is on a committee that committee isn't on the agenda.

Most of the meeting is to talk to committees and task force that have been set up. 

a lot of the heads of those task force aren't board member....so something seems very off to me.

We follow Roberts Rules of Order

My question

****Can the President with out vote or any board approval last minute demand a closed meeting?

Being a 501c3 I thought are meeting had to open to the public and to do other wise would need to have a special meeting with a board vote.

Thanks 

Edited by firefighter44

Hieu H. Huynh,

I brought up that since we didn't vote on having a closed board meeting that the President can't just demand one the day before. So now there is mass confusion as the President is missing in action and there are few people saying what the President says goes.....Sadly I can't make this meeting and I'm very scared that they will try and muscle something thought that isn't in the best interest of the organization....Is there anyway to put the meeting on hold or postpone the meeting using Roberts Rules of Order.

3 minutes ago, firefighter44 said:

Is there anyway to put the meeting on hold or postpone the meeting using Roberts Rules of Order

the members present at the meeting can vote to postpone the objectionable items or can vote to set an adjourned meeting by using the motion to "fix the time  to which to adjourn".  That sets up an adjourned meeting, which is technically a continuation of the same session.  It can be the next day, the next week, or whenever the assembly wants to set it as long as it is before the next regular meeting.

2 hours ago, firefighter44 said:

We're a 501C3 Non profit organization that has monthly meeting. (backdrop information)

What body is it that meets? If it is the membership, then the President cannot turn the meeting into a board meeting. If it's a board meeting, then unless your rules say otherwise, no one has a right to be present other than board members, and the board may decide who, if anyone, may attend other than board members - note that it is the board that may decide this, not the President.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.