The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Manager's amendment?

Cuibono

1 hour ago, Cuibono said:

Hey can someone explain what a manager's amendment is?  I'm not quite clear on it.  

I think it is a term used when the managers of a bill in Congress agree on an amendment. It might also be used in state legislatures. It is a term I have never heard used an ordinary societies and I'm fairly confident it does not appear in RONR.

8 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I think it is a term used when the managers of a bill in Congress agree on an amendment.

Given that description, could it be another term for a "friendly amendment"?

Manager's amendment is not found in RONR. Friendly amenent is only found so that RONR can say it's improper. 

33 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

As was previously mentioned, a Google search turns up a procedure used in Congress. But the OP does not seem to be about a legislative body.

Maybe, maybe not, but that is apparently where the procedure/term is used and where the term comes from.  I'm willing to bet that whoever mentioned it to Cuibono heard or saw it used in that context. Lots of terms are used in Congress that aren't commonly used in ordinary deliberative assemblies and aren't even mentioned in  RONR.  I'm willing to bet this is one of them.

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

Maybe, maybe not, but that is apparently where the procedure/term is used and where the term comes from.

I was near-certain that this was the case. However, what I was curious about was how did the OP's former parliamentarian/chair actually come to the conclusion that this was proper in a non-legislative body and how did some dude become a manager of a motion?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.