The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removing an agenda item

Guest Carolyn

3 minutes ago, Guest Carolyn said:

If I want to remove an agenda item from the agenda, do I ask for that before a motion is put forward to approve the agenda?

The proper procedure under RONR would be for a motion to approve the agenda be made and seconded and then, once the adoption of the agenda is the pending item of business, a member would move to amend it.... exactly as any other motion would be processed.

I suppose that some organizations might shortcut this procedure by the chair simply asking on his own once the meeting is called to order if there are any proposed changes to the agenda, but that is not proper. 

Approving (or adopting) the agenda is precisely like adopting any other motion.  A  member moves for adoption, someone seconds it, the chair states it (ideally), and then a member proposes her amendment and someone hopefully seconds it.  Then the question is on the adoption of the proposed amendment.  In your case, it would be the removal of the particular item.  Once that is settled, the agenda itself can then be approved (unless there are further amendments).  Most of that procedure is usually handled by unanimous consent.

However... unless the association has somewhat unusual requirements that ANY business to come up MUST appear in an approved agenda, there is nothing to prevent the proponent of an item which was removed from the agenda (over the proponent's objections) from simply moving the item under New Business.

• 2 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.