The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approving Annual Meeting Minutes

Guest Nancy B

At our monthly Board of Directors' Meeting, of which I am Chairman, a Board Member noted that an item of business for our next Board Meeting should be to formally approve the minutes from our Annual Membership Meeting, held last month.  My opinion is that this action would be incorrect, because the Board of Directors and the Membership assembly are two different deliberative bodies, and the Membership should approve the minutes of their meeting, not the Board.  The membership meets only once a year, at the annual meeting.  I would appreciate your help in clarifying this, as our Bylaws do not address it.

23 minutes ago, Guest Nancy B said:

At our monthly Board of Directors' Meeting, of which I am Chairman, a Board Member noted that an item of business for our next Board Meeting should be to formally approve the minutes from our Annual Membership Meeting, held last month.  My opinion is that this action would be incorrect, because the Board of Directors and the Membership assembly are two different deliberative bodies, and the Membership should approve the minutes of their meeting, not the Board.  The membership meets only once a year, at the annual meeting.  I would appreciate your help in clarifying this, as our Bylaws do not address it.

The Board could only approve the minutes in question if the membership authorized it to do so, which they should, or they should appoint a committee to do so if they don't want the Board to do it. They should not wait a year for them to be approved.

"When the next regular business session will not be held within a quarterly time interval (see pp. 89–90), and the session does not last longer than one day, or in an organization in which there will be a change or replacement of a portion of the membership, the executive board or a committee appointed for the purpose should be authorized to approve the minutes. "  RONR (11th ed.), pp. 474-475

Without that authorization I agree with Mr. Huynh.

23 hours ago, Guest Nancy B said:

I agree with the other replies. My organization meets biannually; what we do at these biannual meetings is create a committee of several trusted members to approve the minutes. The chair simply asks for unanimous consent to create such a committee.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.