The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RROI and Referendum Question

Davis

Hi. There's a hearing coming up in our New England town and I'd like to suggest to the city council to have something put on a ballot as a referendum question. I heard that if an audience member mentions this to the city council at a hearing they have to take some kind of action.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? I searched through my newly acquired RROI book but didn't find anything.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Davis said:

Hi. There's a hearing coming up in our New England town and I'd like to suggest to the city council to have something put on a ballot as a referendum question. I heard that if an audience member mentions this to the city council at a hearing they have to take some kind of action.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? I searched through my newly acquired RROI book but didn't find anything.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

There is nothing in RONR which would require a City Council to take any action based on the suggestion of a member of the audience. If such a rule exists, it is presumably found in state or local law.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 3/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Robert's Rules of Order Incomplete? Half-price for Half the Book!

AKA "most of the 'Robert's Rules of Order' books on the shelf these days". (I bought one long ago, back before I knew RONR was a thing. It's basically the 4th edition with minimal tweaks.)

9 minutes ago, Davis said:

Sorry guys, that was my bad.  I meant to type "RROO", as in Robert's Rules of Order.

That makes sense, but for future reference the generally accepted abbreviation is "RONR", which I presume expands to "Rules of Order Newly Revised". Not sure why there's not another R.

23 minutes ago, Benjamin Geiger said:

That makes sense, but for future reference the generally accepted abbreviation is "RONR", which I presume expands to "Rules of Order Newly Revised". Not sure why there's not another R.

It all began with General Robert himself referring to the first three editions of his book as RO (for Rules of Order), and the fourth edition as ROR (for Rules of Order Revised). He was too modest to include a letter for his own name.

4 hours ago, Davis said:

Sorry guys, that was my bad.  I meant to type "RROO", as in Robert's Rules of Order.

Good, but the actual abbreviation, among parliamentarians for Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised is RONR.

Sorry for the repetition.  For some reason messages can be edited but not deleted.  Ah, the mysteries of the Forum.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

20 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Sorry for the repetition.  For some reason messages can be edited but not deleted.  Ah, the mysteries of the Forum.

How quickly we forget. :-)

https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/30732-forum-software-update/?do=findComment&comment=179047

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.