The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revote on invalidated ballots

Drake Savory

Thanks all.  This seems to fit with my thoughts.

1)  It is a matter for the membership through their reps at a quorate meeting and not a matter for the board to decide.

2)  The membership* needs to interpret the bylaws and decide if any rules were violated.  If not - no revote.

3)  If so, then the membership* decides if the proper remedy is a revote.  If so it is all or none meaning all of the members and not just those whose votes were in validated.

* through their reps at a quorate meeting.

35 minutes ago, Drake Savory said:

3)  If so, then the membership* decides if the proper remedy is a revote.  If so it is all or none meaning all of the members and not just those whose votes were in validated.  (Emphasis added)

If the vote was by secret ballot, as we are all presumably assuming to be the fact, how would you know whose votes to invalidate?

Edited by Richard Brown
Changed "how do you know" to "how would you know. . ."

40 minutes ago, Drake Savory said:

1)  It is a matter for the membership through their reps at a quorate meeting and not a matter for the board to decide.

Well, assuming the organization’s rules permit the assembly of membership representatives to act on behalf of the full membership in this matter.

7 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

If the vote was by secret ballot, as we are all presumably assuming to be the fact, how would you know whose votes to invalidate?

As I understand the facts, the vote in question takes place across multiple polling places. Each polling place submits its votes to a central location, and it is known which polling place each ballot came from. The organization’s bylaws provide that if there are more votes from a polling place than signatures, all of the votes from that polling place are invalidated.

You will notice, once again, that the bylaw that was quoted to us was written in the passive voice without an agent—therefore, all this confusion about which body can do what. I will repeat my advice that organizations should compose their bylaws and rules in the active voice where the agent of each main verb is regularly the subject of the sentence.

Edited by reelsman

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.