The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Breach of Decorum

BabbsJohnson

Not long ago, while in a meeting, a manager made an extremely rude, humiliating and embarrassing comment which damaged my image in front of my peers.and also demonstrated a callous disregard for a crippling disability, 

The President did not call her to order, but instead joined in the conversation. 

Later, I told the manager I thought she was mean, tactless, and inappropriate, and that I’d never forget that she did that, which I’m sure was a breach of decorum.

Are there “levels” to breaches of decorum? Are some worse than others?

46 minutes ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

No, no levels. Whether some are worse than others is a judgment call that the assembly can make. If someone said anything like what you indicated then why did you not raise a Point Of Order and request the chairman put an end to this?

3 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

No, no levels. Whether some are worse than others is a judgment call that the assembly can make. If someone said anything like what you indicated then why did you not raise a Point Of Order and request the chairman put an end to this?

The chair was participating in the conversation as well., and also saying insensitive things.

i was also a bit shocked as it was happening. 

Yes, I think some violations of the rules are merely technical and are not worth bringing up if no one seems to be harmed. What you describe, however, is not of that category.

In other threads, you have made it clear that this body (other than you) has no interest in parliamentary procedure. Anything goes. See how devisive and unproductive the meetings are?

Regardless of whether the chair is participating and regardless of whether you are shocked, if you want it to stop you need to raise a point of order.

As two levels or degrees of breaches of decorum, a breach of decorum is a breach of decorum. It is up to the assembly to decide how to deal with it. Not all breaches need to be treated the same.

10 hours ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

Not long ago, while in a meeting, a manager made an extremely rude, humiliating and embarrassing comment which damaged my image in front of my peers.and also demonstrated a callous disregard for a crippling disability, 

The President did not call her to order, but instead joined in the conversation. 

Later, I told the manager I thought she was mean, tactless, and inappropriate, and that I’d never forget that she did that, which I’m sure was a breach of decorum.

Why did no one (including you) call the member to order at the time, rather than waiting for the meeting to end?  If the chair will not do the job, it's up to everyone.

With all due respect, it does not sound like you have read the relevant section.  See p. 646 on Calling a member to order.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

15 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Why did no one (including you) call the member to order at the time, rather than waiting for the meeting to end?  If the chair will not do the job, it's up to everyone.

With all due respect, it does not sound like you have read the relevant section.  See p. 646 on Calling a member to order.

I agree.  Member Nosey, we know you have the book, but you keep posting questions as if you have not even looked at it. Most of the questions you ask us are clearly answered in the book.

Edited to add:  If this is the type behavior the char insists on engaging in and if the assembly is fine with it, perhaps you should either be trying harder to fit in with their way of doing things or bow out and look for another organization to join. It seems you are a lone wolf trying to insist that things be done your way.... which may (or may not) actually be according to RONR... but if the other board members are happy with the way they are doing things and don't want to change I'm afraid you are fighting a losing battle that will only cause more animosity and bickering.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

11 hours ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

I think it is certainly the case that some breaches of decorum are worse than others, but RONR does not (and should not) define “levels” of breaches of decorum. Such details are up to the assembly when considering any disciplinary motion(s) arising out of the indecorous actions.

55 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

I agree.  Member Nosey, we know you have the book, but you keep posting questions as if you have not even looked at it. Most of the questions you ask us are clearly answered in the book.

Edited to add:  If this is the type behavior the char insists on engaging in and if the assembly is fine with it, perhaps you should either be trying harder to fit in with their way of doing things or bow out and look for another organization to join. It seems you are a lone wolf trying to insist that things be done your way.... which may (or may not) actually be according to RONR... but if the other board members are happy with the way they are doing things and don't want to change I'm afraid you are fighting a losing battle that will only cause more animosity and bickering.

As I recall, the organization in question is an HOA, so to “look for another organization to join” is somewhat more complicated than in the ordinary case.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.