The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Upcoming Elections

Guest Don Brown

Good day everyone. I have a question concerning an organization I belong to and its upcoming election. The bylaws do address term limits, and states,  a. The term of office for the elected officials shall be two (2) years, as established by the Board of Directors and  b. The National President and the Vice-President may succeed himself or herself no more than two (2) terms totaling no more than four (4) years. As it stands right now the current President and Vice- President are ineligible to run and there does not appear to be anyone who will run for either office at this time. The bylaws do not address this particular issue nor are there any policies to address it. My two questions are:  1. If it turns out that there are no candidates for either office, does the responsibility of the organizations operations, etc. then fall on the Board of Directors?  2. Is there anything in Robert's Rules that address it?  Thanks in advance?

3 hours ago, Guest Don Brown said:

Good day everyone. I have a question concerning an organization I belong to and its upcoming election. The bylaws do address term limits, and states,  a. The term of office for the elected officials shall be two (2) years, as established by the Board of Directors and  b. The National President and the Vice-President may succeed himself or herself no more than two (2) terms totaling no more than four (4) years. As it stands right now the current President and Vice- President are ineligible to run and there does not appear to be anyone who will run for either office at this time. The bylaws do not address this particular issue nor are there any policies to address it. My two questions are:  1. If it turns out that there are no candidates for either office, does the responsibility of the organizations operations, etc. then fall on the Board of Directors?  2. Is there anything in Robert's Rules that address it?  Thanks in advance?

In the event the society fails to elect a President and a Vice President, a Chairman Pro Tempore would be elected to preside at meetings of the board, and of the membership, but this person would not take on any other powers of the President or Vice President assigned by your bylaws.

Ultimately, the only real solution to this problem is to elect people to fill these offices. Perhaps it would be prudent to amend the bylaws to remove the term limits.

• Dan Honemann changed the title to Upcoming Elections
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.