The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session minutes content

DJGarvin

30 minutes ago, DJGarvin said:

What is the content of Executive Session minutes and how are they stored and accessed 

The rules regarding the form of the minutes, storage and accessibility of the minutes are the same whether a meeting is held in executive session or not.  See RONR (11th ed.), pp. 459-60.  Regarding their approval , see p. 96

Edited by George Mervosh

George

As I figured as regarding content, however storage and accessibility to the Executive Session minutes is the greater concern, as Standard Meeting minutes are kept digitally on corporate servers and any member of the Board and invited others (ED, high position staff, Board consultants). Executive Session minutes are manually inscribed and kept as secret records that are transferred to the newly elected officer after the end of the Secretary's Term.

RONR doesn't require that. Your organization can do that if they wish. They should just keep in mind that members of the Board may review the records upon request, within reason.

Page 460, lines 13-20:

Any member has a right to examine these reports and the record book(s) referred to on page 459, lines 13-16, including the minutes of an executive session, at a reasonable time and place, but this privilege must not be abused to the annoyance of the secretary. The same principle applies to records kept by boards and committees, these being accessible to members of the boards or committees but to no others (but see p. 487, ll.13-20).

Edited by Atul Kapur
Found the quote

23 hours ago, DJGarvin said:

George

As I figured as regarding content, however storage and accessibility to the Executive Session minutes is the greater concern, as Standard Meeting minutes are kept digitally on corporate servers and any member of the Board and invited others (ED, high position staff, Board consultants). Executive Session minutes are manually inscribed and kept as secret records that are transferred to the newly elected officer after the end of the Secretary's Term.

Executive session minutes are approved only in executive session (and the minutes of that short session may be approved at that same session.

It makes sense to me that if they contain sensitive material adequate provisions for maintaining there secrecy would be followed.

However, in my experience, which may differ from yours, executive session minutes rarely contain much in the way of sensitive information.  This is because in my organization, motions were usually adopted outside of executive session.  The only part that needed to remain confidential was what was said by members during the executive session.  And since discussion is not included in the minutes, that left virtually nothing for the minutes to say, except that business of a particular general class was discussed, after which a motion to come out of executive session was adopted.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.