Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest Essence

Motions

Recommended Posts

In a small (12 members, or so, or less) committee or board, yes.

In a full members meeting she can (presuming she is a member), but shouldn't, to preserve impartiality in presiding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops, my error, I thought the phylacter was the chairman.  If she is the official parliamentarian, advisor to the chair, she should not offer motions.  RONR, p. 465-7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Zev

This book contains several alternative words for the same office, such as president, or chairman, and secretary, recorder, or scribe. I would be thrilled to have the 2020 edition include this new word "phylacter" as an alternative to "parliamentarian." I am absolutely certain that our friends in Canada and the UK will find such an inclusion exceedingly helpful since they use the word "parliamentarian" in the way we use the word "legislator.":D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

I am absolutely certain that our friends in Canada and the UK will find such an inclusion exceedingly helpful

Yeah, that'll save us Canadians from having to explain the definition of the word. 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Yeah, that'll save us Canadians from having to explain the definition of the word. 😐

Well, I'm constantly reminded that "Google is your friend", so I guess it's time for me to pay my friend  Google a visit.  I have never heard that term before.

Edited to add:  Google was no help and dictionary.com found no entry for the word.  So, is it really a word that needs to be included in RONR?

 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Well, I'm constantly reminded that "Google is your friend", so I guess it's time for me to pay my friend  Google a visit.  I have never heard that term before.

Edited to add:  Google was no help and dictionary.com found no entry for the word.  So, is it really a word that needs to be included in RONR?

My own Google search suggested that this is an alternative term for a Parliamentarian used in certain fraternities and sororities. I had never heard of the term prior to this thread.

I agree that it does not need to be included in RONR, but I don’t think anyone was seriously suggesting that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...