The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Point of Order"

Guest sadie

No. If you suspect the council has violated "sunshine laws" by considering an item not properly posted, you might want to consult with an attorney.

Just for the fun of it, I will note that local officials in my state have been convicted of felonious violations of my state's open meetings law.

2 hours ago, Guest sadie said:

In a city council meeting can a citizen in attendance call point of order.  A new topic not on the agenda was brought up by the council, discussed and voted on. I thought they could only act on the itmes on the agenda.

Guests have no "right" to make a point of order, but if they have the right to address the council,  they can point out the error during the public comment portion of the meeting.  Or someone can ask permission to address the council.  Or someone can stand up and just blurt out, "You can't do that.  State law doesn't let you take up something not on the agenda".  I have actually seen that work... and I have done it myself successfully (on a slightly different point).   And, no, you will not find that suggestion in RONR.  :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.