The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Continue business after an election

Guest Larry Tipton

The secretary attempted to stop further discussion of the meeting after we had elected the officers for the ensuing year. He stated that RR of Order states that no business can be conducted after an election has been conducted. I cannot find anything that states that in the Rules. Is there such a rule? If so where do I find it?  In many years of holding meetings I have never heard of this rule. I appreciate your comments.

6 minutes ago, Guest Larry Tipton said:

The secretary attempted to stop further discussion of the meeting after we had elected the officers for the ensuing year. He stated that RR of Order states that no business can be conducted after an election has been conducted. I cannot find anything that states that in the Rules. Is there such a rule? If so where do I find it?  In many years of holding meetings I have never heard of this rule. I appreciate your comments.

There is no such rule in RONR where that would apply at a regular meeting.  If the society follows the standard order of business (p. 353), elections mandated by the bylaws will typically fall under special orders, which is the 4th item of the six items that comprise the standard order of business.

It is possible that the secretary is misunderstanding the rule that unfinished business "falls to the ground" following a periodic change in membership. But that applies only to a board, and only when the new officers take office (which may or may not be immediately on election, depending on the bylaws). And it certainly has no effect on any other business that may otherwise be in order. RONR, p. 488, l. 22 to p. 489, l. 16.

Edited by Weldon Merritt
Edited to correct typo.

Guest Thanks to both of you

I always appreciate this board to find out answers to some questions that arise by someone who believes they are the expert and know very little. You gentlemen are the best and I always look to you for advise. Have a wonderful day and thanks again.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.