The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Eligibility for officer in non-profit.

LinInTexas

Hi there, new member here, swimming in the seas of RONR - or maybe just treading water.

Our bylaws state this about officers:

ARTICLE IV. Officers
All officers must be voting members in good standing (current in any dues, regular participant in corporate meetings and projects, and maintain Master Gardener Certification). Officers are elected at the Annual Meeting in November to serve a one-year term beginning January 1. Officers are elected by a majority vote of voting members when a quorum is present. Officers may serve two (2) consecutive terms in office. Should any officer be unable or unwilling to serve for three or more consecutive regular meetings that officer shall be replaced for the remainder of the term by a majority vote of the Executive Committee. An officer may be removed from office by a majority vote of the members present, proved there is a quorum at the meeting.

My question is, if a person serves two consecutive one-year terms in an office (let's say president), can they later (after a year or more not in office) be eligible to be president again,  or is two terms an absolute limit? 

Thanks in advance!

50 minutes ago, LinInTexas said:

Hi there, new member here, swimming in the seas of RONR - or maybe just treading water.

Our bylaws state this about officers:

ARTICLE IV. Officers
All officers must be voting members in good standing (current in any dues, regular participant in corporate meetings and projects, and maintain Master Gardener Certification). Officers are elected at the Annual Meeting in November to serve a one-year term beginning January 1. Officers are elected by a majority vote of voting members when a quorum is present. Officers may serve two (2) consecutive terms in office. Should any officer be unable or unwilling to serve for three or more consecutive regular meetings that officer shall be replaced for the remainder of the term by a majority vote of the Executive Committee. An officer may be removed from office by a majority vote of the members present, proved there is a quorum at the meeting.

My question is, if a person serves two consecutive one-year terms in an office (let's say president), can they later (after a year or more not in office) be eligible to be president again,  or is two terms an absolute limit? 

Thanks in advance!

It is ultimately up to the members of your organization to interpret its bylaws. We cannot do that for you here. Our advice is based on the rules in RONR.

However, The issue of term limits comes up frequently in this forum. My own personal opinion, which is simply my opinion and doesn’t really count since only the opinions of your members count, is that the quoted language does not prohibit serving additional terms as president after sitting out for a term. I interpret it as being permissive, i.e., that an officer may serve two consecutive terms. I do not interpret it as a prohibition against serving again in the future.

Edited by Richard Brown
Deleted a paragraph that somehow repeated itself

8 minutes ago, LinInTexas said:

Excellent, thanks so much! That is how I interpreted it, as did most of our members. There were a vocal few who disagreed. 

If he's elected again after sitting out a term, the vocal few can indeed raise a point of order at the time he is elected (assuming he is).  The presiding officer shall rule on their point and his decision is subject to appeal, so as Mr. Brown notes, ultimately, the members will decide.

8 hours ago, LinInTexas said:

The latter former, in my view. The rule prohibits serving more than two consecutive terms. If this person is out of office for a year (or more), and is subsequently re-elected, the third term is not consecutive, and therefore does not violate the rule.

Edited by Josh Martin

4 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

The latter, in my view. The rule prohibits serving more than two consecutive terms. If this person is out of office for a year (or more), and is subsequently re-elected, the third term is not consecutive, and therefore does not violate the rule.

But that's the former.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.