The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New Director Onboarding

Guest Alyshia

Any suggestion on new director onboarding timelines? Our board approved the 3 candidate recommendations from the Nominating Committee this week. Our AGM and next board meeting are both in early September on the same day. Ideally I would like to have an onboarding session for the new folks prior to their first board meeting - is this advisable before they are "officially" voted in at the AGM?

I've also read a lot of information online on who should run the onboarding session - ideally should be the GCC, or at least the Chair of the board. I don't foresee this being possible as the GCC is very busy with Covid-related situations and have generally been unavailable. Our current Chair is also stepping down in September. Is a mix between at least 1 board member (ideally more), the Corporate Secretary, CEO & 3 senior execs a good idea?

Thanks for your feedback!

8 minutes ago, Guest Alyshia said:

Any suggestion on new director onboarding timelines? Our board approved the 3 candidate recommendations from the Nominating Committee this week. Our AGM and next board meeting are both in early September on the same day. Ideally I would like to have an onboarding session for the new folks prior to their first board meeting - is this advisable before they are "officially" voted in at the AGM?

I've also read a lot of information online on who should run the onboarding session - ideally should be the GCC, or at least the Chair of the board. I don't foresee this being possible as the GCC is very busy with Covid-related situations and have generally been unavailable. Our current Chair is also stepping down in September. Is a mix between at least 1 board member (ideally more), the Corporate Secretary, CEO & 3 senior execs a good idea?

Thanks for your feedback!

RONR has no guidance on this subject.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:25 AM, Guest Alyshia said:

Ideally I would like to have an onboarding session for the new folks prior to their first board meeting - is this advisable before they are "officially" voted in at the AGM?

I don't think it's advisable to welcome new board members before they have been elected as board members. It is somewhat worrisome that you put the word officially in quotation marks, as though the Nominating Committee and the board, rather than the voting members of the society, are in charge of who gets elected.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.