The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How many readings to pass an ordinance

Guest Stacey B

Our city has adopted Robert's Rules of Order.  The question has come to me about if we have to have 3 readings before passing an ordinance or can it be done with just 1 reading?
I was taught that we had to have 3 readings before we could pass an ordinance.

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Guest Stacey B said:

Our city has adopted Robert's Rules of Order.  The question has come to me about if we have to have 3 readings before passing an ordinance or can it be done with just 1 reading?

Thanks in advance!

Nothing in Robert's Rules requires multiple readings but you should check with your city's attorney to be sure nothing in the city's other rules or applicable statute provide for multiple readings.

9 hours ago, Guest Stacey B said:

You might, but not because of anything in RONR. If you have laws or regulations that require multiple readings, those would supersede the rules in RONR.

Agreeing with Mr. Mervosh and Mr. Katz, it is quite common, in fact I would say more common than not, that ordinances adopted by governmental bodies must have at least two readings (Be presented at one meeting and voted on at the next). Some states or localities might require three readings. A requirement of either two or three readings would have to be in some superior law or rule other than RONR.  Some states or localities might require three readings. A requirement of either two or three readings would have to be in some superior law or rule other than RONR. Check your city charter.  That is probably where you will find such a rule.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.