The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsideration of Counted Vote

Byron Baxter

The chair was uncertain of a voice vote and it was moved and adopted to have a counted vote. The vote was counted and the main motion was adopted.  Later in the meeting a member moved to reconsider the vote on taking the counted vote. The main motion was not included in the motion to reconsider.

The chair knows that incidental motions may be reconsidered, but states that because a vote cannot be retaken by the same method, the motion to reconsider is out of order.

We have researched 6:27(5) and 37:24-34, but are still not sure about reconsideration of a counting the vote.

1 hour ago, Byron Baxter said:

The chair was uncertain of a voice vote and it was moved and adopted to have a counted vote. The vote was counted and the main motion was adopted.  Later in the meeting a member moved to reconsider the vote on taking the counted vote. The main motion was not included in the motion to reconsider.

The chair knows that incidental motions may be reconsidered, but states that because a vote cannot be retaken by the same method, the motion to reconsider is out of order.

We have researched 6:27(5) and 37:24-34, but are still not sure about reconsideration of a counting the vote.

Well, one thing is for sure, and that is that an exhausted order prescribing the method of voting cannot be reconsidered unless the motion to which it applied is also being reconsidered, which is not the case here (RONR, 12th ed., 30:7, 37:30).  

An exhausted order prescribing the method of voting probably cannot be reconsidered under any circumstances, but we'll save this one for another day.  🙂

Okay, I'll go first.  🙂

As previously mentioned, an exhausted order prescribing the method of voting cannot be reconsidered unless the motion to which it applied is also being reconsidered (37:30). But 30:7 tells us that if, after an order prescribing the method of voting is exhausted, the motion to which it previously applied is reconsidered, the order is no longer in effect. Hence I think it safe to say that an exhausted order prescribing the method of voting cannot be reconsidered under any circumstances.

28 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Okay, I'll go first.  🙂

As previously mentioned, an exhausted order prescribing the method of voting cannot be reconsidered unless the motion to which it applied is also being reconsidered (37:30). But 30:7 tells us that if, after an order prescribing the method of voting is exhausted, the motion to which it previously applied is reconsidered, the order is no longer in effect. Hence I think it safe to say that an exhausted order prescribing the method of voting cannot be reconsidered under any circumstances.

Doesn't 39:3 say that in so many words? 

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Okay, I'll go first.  🙂

I have to admit that 30:7 isn't a paragraph I've read too often, even when it was pp. 285-86 in the 11th Edition.  Thanks.

While I do think it safe to say, as I have, that an exhausted order prescribing the method of voting cannot be reconsidered under any circumstances, I will admit that my explanation as to why this is so focuses too much on the factual situation originally presented. As we know from what is said in 30:7, an order prescribing the method of voting is exhausted (1) when the question on which it was imposed has been finally disposed of, or (2) at the conclusion of the session in which it has been adopted, whichever occurs first. As a consequence, rather than making reference only to what is said in 37:30, it would have been better had I referred to 37:9(2), which covers all the bases. In fact, 37:9(2)(h) would seem to suffice for an explanation all by itself.  🙂

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.