The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes Additional Information

Guest Wendi

We had a member meeting, where a report was read with five points. After the meeting, they resent the report with a sixth point. Nothing in the report needed a motion or a vote. When sending the meeting minutes with the attached reports, how do we document the additional point that was added to the report. 

30 minutes ago, Guest Wendi said:

When sending the meeting minutes with the attached reports, how do we document the additional point that was added to the report. 

You don't, in the minutes of the meeting where the report was submitted. If whoever submitted the report wants to add a sixth point, they should submit a supplemental report at the next meeting. 

If this is the report of a committee, the so-called "sixth point" cannot be presented by the committee unless the main motion or topic is first recommitted by its parent body; the so-called "sixth point" is agreed to be added to the report; and, the modified report is adopted by the committee by majority vote.

41 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

If this is the report of a committee, the so-called "sixth point" cannot be presented by the committee unless the main motion or topic is first recommitted by its parent body; the so-called "sixth point" is agreed to be added to the report; and, the modified report is adopted by the committee by majority vote.

That's a good point. But if this is a standing committee with ongoing jurisdiction, and they were reporting on something they originated rather than something committed to them, then I don't think "recommit" would be applicable.

37 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

I disagree with Mr. Merritt.  Once control of the motion or topic has passed to the parent body, the standing committee loses control, and can have nothing more to say on it, unless the motion or topic is recommitted by he parent body.

My understanding from the facts presented is that the report was merely an informational report updating the assembly regarding the work of the committee, since we are told that "Nothing in the report needed a motion or a vote." It would seem to me a report of this nature does not "pass" anything to the parent body, and the committee is free to submit further reports of this nature in the future. The facts presented do not suggest to me that the report was regarding a matter which had been referred to the committee by the assembly.

"Even if a report contains only an account of work done or a statement of fact or opinion for the assembly’s information, it should be in writing. Apart from filing such a report, however, no action on it is necessary and usually none should be taken." RONR (12th ed.) 51:53

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.