The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Should meeting minutes include a copy of a written complaint against a board member?

LMB

Our board has received a printed, mailed, letter alleging misconduct by a board member.  Included are approximately thirty pages of screenshots of social media activity by the named board member.  This matter will be discussed in open forum at the next meeting.  Is it permissible to include the letter as part of the minutes, along with filing the physical letter and attached pages?

2 hours ago, LMB said:

Is it permissible to include the letter as part of the minutes, along with filing the physical letter and attached pages?

The meeting could adopt a motion to do so, it would require a majority vote. I strongly recommend that you do not do this.

I also endorse Mr. Mervosh's suggestion.

I would move that the matter be referred to a committee and that the committee be instructed to report back their recommendations. Absolutely nothing in these so-called printed or screen shot materials should be made public or any discussion about them be made in anything except executive session. The person that sent these materials could be attempting to embroil the organization in a legal dispute of some kind. This possibility must be avoided at all costs. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.