The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can Roberts Rules or Order be interpreted?

Guest longbottomw30

Guest longbottomw30

At a recent committee meeting, it was put forth that the Chairman in charge of a meeting can interpret Roberts Rules of Order for a meeting. It was  a question regarding the

agenda. The new agenda could not be combined with unfinished business and amended general orders.  My first question is can Roberts Rules of Order be interpreted to do what the chairman wants?

1 hour ago, Guest longbottomw30 said:

My first question is can Roberts Rules of Order be interpreted to do what the chairman wants?

In a way.

A member who feels that the rules are not being followed can raise a point of order (if they are unsure, they can raise a parliamentary inquiry).

The chair would either rule the point "well taken" (i.e., the rules are not being followed and that will be corrected) or "not well taken" (the rules are being followed). 

Two members who disagree with the ruling may appeal (and second) the ruling of the chair. 

See RONR (12th ed.) §23 for more details on point of order and §24 for appeal.

Edited by Atul Kapur

If there is a rule which prescribes how it should be handled, then the chair is duty-bound to follow the rule.  If the chair doesn't follow the rule, that's what points of order are for.

RONR 56:68 is titled "Some Principles of Interpretation" and in 56:68(1) it notes:

"Each society decides for itself the meaning of its bylaws.  When the meaning is clear, however, the society, even by a unanimous vote, cannot change that meaning except by amending its bylaws.  An ambiguity must exist before there is any occasion for interpretation.  If a bylaw is ambiguous, it must be interpreted, if possible, in harmony with the other bylaws..."

There are several more rules there that you should read to see whether they apply to the situation.  But start by checking your own bylaws and anything on-topic from RONR.  If those are clear, there is no cause for interpretation.

Agreeing with both of my friends Atul Kapur and Alicia Percell, if the rule and the application of it is clear, there is no room for interpretation. However, there is frequently a gray area or a question of whether or how a particular rule should be applied. There can be disagreements as to what is the correct interpretation.  In those situations, it must be interpreted and the interpretation starts with the chair. If the assembly is not happy with the chair’s ruling, his ruling can be appealed.

7 hours ago, Guest longbottomw30 said:

The new agenda could not be combined with unfinished business and amended general orders.

Curiosity question. What kind of committee is this that unfinished business and general orders (Really?) from a previous meeting just vanishes into thin air? Such an arrangement is highly unusual. I have never heard of such a thing. My understanding is that committees consider the motions referred to them and eventually issue a report back to the body that referred the motion to them. So why does this committee have an agenda? The only thing they have to consider is however many motions they still have pending and have not had reports issued. 

it was put forth that the Chairman in charge of a meeting can interpret Roberts Rules of Order for a meeting.

Well, someone has to when questions arise. But ultimately it's the body, although the chair has the initial shot at it.

My first question is can Roberts Rules of Order be interpreted to do what the chairman wants?

This reads to me like a loaded question. 

Outside of small executive boards and committees, the chair must maintain the the appearance of impartiality in order to perform his duties properly.  I, too, with Mr. Katz, think there is something more to the question than is being said.  The answer, I think, has to be "no".  The chair fails to do his duty if he tries to misuse parliamentary procedure as a means to "gavel through" his personal preferences.

Guest More info for the question

I would ask any one interested to go to the following facebook site and watch the video.

The motions begin at about 9 Unfinished business. https://www.facebook.com/NatronaCountyRepublicanParty

1. Welcome - Chairman Taheri

1. Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance

3. Recognition of Dignitaries

4. Approval of agenda

5. Approval of minutes - March 23, 2021

6. Appointment of Parliamentarian, Teller Committee (if needed), Credentials Committee

7. Treasurer's report

8. Report of the Credentials Committee

9. Unfinished Business

a. WY GOP by-law review-update

10. New Business:

a. Parade - July 13, 2021 - Kim Walker

b. Precinct openings

c. Fundraisers - Annie Sanders

d. State Central Committee

e. Website - Ryan McConnaughey

11. Legislative update

12. Upcoming meetings & events

13. Adjourn

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.