The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President resigned and now VP is president as a result. Can the replacement president resign from that role?

Guest SCG

I agree with Mr. Katz. He can quite likely resign as president, but he may or may not lose his board seat by doing so. It all depends on how the members of the board are chosen and how the officers are chosen. 

If he is on the board by virtue of being president, then if he resigns  as president he will almost certainly also lose his board seat. However, if he was elected to the board by the membership and then selected by the board from among its members to be president, he can quite likely resign as president but remain a board member.

So, what do your bylaws say about how the board members are chosen and how the officers are chosen?

7 minutes ago, elseygirl said:

If he was elected to VP, and the bylaws say the VP automatically becomes president if the president leaves, hasn't he lost the role he was elected into already?  So if he resigned the president role, he'd be resigning from the board.  Am I interpreting wrong?

Maybe, maybe not. You need to explain to us how the president and vice president are selected in the first place.  That's what both Mr. Katz and I were trying to tell you.  It all depends on what your bylaws say about how the board members are selected and how the president and vice president are selected.  Does the membership elect the president and vice president directly and then the P and VP become board members by virtue of having been elected P and VP?  Or are they first elected to the board and then the board selects the P and VP from among the board members?  The answer to that question  makes a huge difference and we can't answer it until we know that information.

So, if you want us to answer your question, you have to first answer ours and tell us how they became president and vice president in the first place.

20 minutes ago, elseygirl said:

I'm not the original poster.  Please refrain from being rude.

Chill, elsey girl. There's nothing rude about Mr. Brown's statement. It's a statement of fact; neither the OP's question nor yours can be answered until the questions asked by Mr. Brown and Mr. Katz have been answered. The fact that they assumed (incorrectly but not unreasonably, IMO) that you were the OP does not mean that they were being rude.

Elseygirl, Mr. Merritt is correct.  I did not know you are not the original poster and was not trying to be rude.  As members, when we come back to the forum and click on a thread we have already read or posted in, we don't see the original post (or the original poster's name) unless we scroll back up to the top, which we don't usually have to do to respond to the most recent comment.  The most recent comment, yours, is what I saw and it was worded as if you were the original poster.   I thought you were the original poster and not giving us the information we need in order to answer the question.  We still can't answer the question without the information we have been requesting.

2 hours ago, elseygirl said:

If he was elected to VP, and the bylaws say the VP automatically becomes president if the president leaves, hasn't he lost the role he was elected into already?  So if he resigned the president role, he'd be resigning from the board.  Am I interpreting wrong?

No way to tell without knowing what your bylaws say about who elects the president.  Does the membership vote for president directly, or does the board vote to elect the president from among its own number?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.