The Official RONR Q & A Forums

procedural motion

Guest Skylar

Please help me understand what is, and is not, a procedural motion. 

Our org documents contain this: "All items for consideration shall be submitted in writing for consideration and inclusion in the agenda. Only procedural motions may be made from the floor during a business meeting." As far as I can tell, the Rules only use "procedural motion" once or twice as a synonym for incidental main motions. In reading articles and speaking with people I find much disagreement about the character of procedural motions. 

I am most interested in knowing if a procedural motion can be used to introduce a new agenda item during a meeting in progress. 

Thank you! 

On 9/30/2021 at 6:39 PM, Guest Skylar said:

Please help me understand what is, and is not, a procedural motion. 

Our org documents contain this: "All items for consideration shall be submitted in writing for consideration and inclusion in the agenda. Only procedural motions may be made from the floor during a business meeting." As far as I can tell, the Rules only use "procedural motion" once or twice as a synonym for incidental main motions. In reading articles and speaking with people I find much disagreement about the character of procedural motions. 

I am most interested in knowing if a procedural motion can be used to introduce a new agenda item during a meeting in progress. 

Thank you! 

Just about every motion other than a main motion (original or incidental) will be a procedural (parliamentary) motion of some sort. 

On 9/30/2021 at 6:39 PM, Guest Skylar said:

The way you describe it "introduce a new agenda item" sounds very much like RONR's definition of a main motion: "a main motion is a motion whose introduction brings business before the assembly" (12th ed.) 10:1

In other words, not a procedural motion.

Edited by Atul Kapur
added reference

A motion to amend a previously adopted agenda is a form of the incidental main motion, Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted.  This motion required either a two-thirds vote or a vote of the majority of the entire membership.  RONR (12th ed.) §35.

In this case, the motion almost certainly refers to an item of substantive business; therefore, it almost certainly is not a "procedural motion".

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.