The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Questions for Nominees from the Floor

Guest Emilee

On 11/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, Guest Emilee said:

Hi there, 

When the nominations slate is confirmed, including any nominations from the floor, is the membership able to ask questions of the candidates for the positions? Are there any limitations on this?

Thanks so much. 

A motion for a Q&A would be proper, but in the motion the assembly may want to set some limitations on the number of questions asked, time limits on answering and a total time for the Q&A itself.  I think it's going to take a 2/3 vote for this but I may be wrong.  Also the chair needs to maintain complete control of this so that it's orderly.

On 11/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, Rob Elsman said:

I suggest that any informal Q&A be held outside the context of the business meeting itself.  See RONR (12th ed.) 52:28, "Aids to the Crystallization of Opinion".

I have a different opinion than my friend, Mr. Elsman.  I'm a fan of full debate (including a possible Q&A) right in front of those in the assembly who will likely be voting.  It's hard enough getting members to a meeting these days.

I agree that nominations are debatable.  My problem is that "Q&A" periods, as I understand them, are structured differently than formal debate and Requests for Information.  I think of a "Q&A" period as one kind of more informal device that can be used to help crystallize opinion.  In my own opinion, these should be held outside of the business meeting, where the more formal and restrictive rules of debate control.

Because of the greater informality of the "Q&A" period, there is a greater chance that things will get out of control.  Therefore, the chair must be particularly vigilant about the direction of the discussion, and be ready to intervene when there are dealings in personalities that go beyond the bounds of the election, itself.

I understand the point that Mr. Elsman is making, but I agree with Mr. Mervosh and Guest Zev that a "question and answer" period can probably best be provided for in the meeting itself, especially considering that RONR makes is plain that nominations are debatable.  There would be nothing wrong, however, with the assembly taking a recess for a few minutes and permitting a question and answer period during the recess.  Doing it that way, however, presents an issue of control, since the assembly is technically not in session.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.