The Official RONR Q & A Forums

§38 Renewal of Motions

Tomm

As I understand it, the motion to renew can be used at the current meeting, or a future meeting, as long as it wasn't presented to the assembly because it was either withdrawn or it didn't receive a second, but if the motion was voted on but failed, it can be presented at the next meeting as a new motion without first using the motion to renew?  True or False?

What effect do the rules for small boards affect the motion to renew when a second isn't necessarily even required?

On 2/2/2022 at 12:35 PM, Tomm said:

As I understand it, the motion to renew can be used at the current meeting, or a future meeting, as long as it wasn't presented to the assembly because it was either withdrawn or it didn't receive a second, but if the motion was voted on but failed, it can be presented at the next meeting as a new motion without first using the motion to renew?  True or False?

There is no such thing as a "motion to renew"

On 2/2/2022 at 11:35 AM, Tomm said:

There is no such thing as a motion to renew. To "renew" a motion simply means to make the motion again, as a new motion. This may be done in any of the circumstances you describe, and there is no difference in the procedure for any of them.

Renewal of motions is discussed in greater detail in RONR (12th ed.) Section 38.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:35 AM, Tomm said:

What effect do the rules for small boards affect the motion to renew when a second isn't necessarily even required?

If no second is required, then it will not be possible for a motion to die for lack of a second, and therefore a circumstance will not arise where a motion dies for lack of a second and is later renewed during the same meeting.

Other than that, I don't think there is any effect. 

Edited by Josh Martin

A main motion might be able to be brought back before the assembly a second time at the same meeting or the meeting held on the next business day within the same session by way of the motion, Reconsider.  See RONR (12th ed.) §37.  Take special note of the limitation on what member can make this motion, RONR (12th ed.) 37:10.

On 2/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, Rob Elsman said:

A main motion might be able to be brought back before the assembly a second time at the same meeting or the meeting held on the next business day within the same session by way of the motion, Reconsider.

Yes, I agree that under the right circumstances the motion "Reconsider" can be used, but I limited my comments to renewal of motions since that was the OP's question.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.