The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Keeping a Board vote out of the minutes!

Guest Grammy

I'm baaaack!  Our new Board voted unanimously on a item, which involved the behavior of two members.. However, after some thought, several Board members felt that they needed additional  facts to make a more educated decision.  After new facts were presented, the Board unanimously changed their vote at a special meeting, to not take action against these members, after all.  My question is: Can we leave the original vote out of the minutes to avoid negative reaction from the membership.

On 2/5/2022 at 11:28 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

No! At least not legitimately. The minutes are supposed to reflect what happened at the meeting, not what you wish had happened. 

That's true. However, under RONR the board does not need to share its own minutes with the membership unless ordered to do so. 

It seems to me that if the board altered its minutes and all board members remained mum about the affair, then even if the minutes were produced and read to the assembly for both occasions in question the likelihood of anyone detecting that something was amiss seems extremely small unless a board member rats on his fellow board members.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, Guest Zev said:

It seems to me that if the board altered its minutes and all board members remained mum about the affair, then even if the minutes were produced and read to the assembly for both occasions in question the likelihood of anyone detecting that something was amiss seems extremely small unless a board member rats on his fellow board members.

Well, yes. But that assumes that the entire board is willing to falsify the minutes, and then agree to cover up the falsification. That's why I said they can't legitimately omit the first motion. An assembly can do all sorts of improper things if they are willing to ignore the rules.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.