The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsideration in the event of a tie

Guest AMarquis

On 3/5/2022 at 12:47 PM, Guest AMarquis said:

In the event of a tie, and the motion fails for lack of a majority, is reconsideration possible? If so, since there is no prevailing team, who can reconsider the motion?

Since a tie vote rejects the motion, those who voted No have prevailed.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 3/5/2022 at 9:53 PM, Guest Zev said:

I would feel a little bit better if I knew what kind of motion was rejected since some motions can be reconsidered while others cannot.

But it remains the case that those who vote no are on the prevailing side, which is why I answered as I did. What it means for reconsider varies, I agree.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:47 PM, Guest AMarquis said:

In the event of a tie, and the motion fails for lack of a majority, is reconsideration possible? If so, since there is no prevailing team, who can reconsider the motion?

Apparently the answers given so far remain unsatisfactory to some, so let me take a stab at this.

In the event of a tie and the motion fails for lack of a majority in the affirmative, reconsideration is possible under the same conditions as it would be if the motion had failed for lack of a majority in the affirmative but the vote was not tied. In all such cases, members who voted in the negative are indeed members who voted on the prevailing side and are eligible to move to reconsider when having voted on the prevailing side determines such eligibility. (But only the voting body itself may actually "reconsider the motion", by adopting the motion to reconsider.)

There are of course many reasons why reconsideration might not be possible in a given situation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.