The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What do we do when information is missing from draft minutes, and nobody remembers?

Benjamin Geiger

An organization I belong to has a relatively new Recording Secretary. He's been doing a good job of taking minutes overall, but due to a series of odd circumstances(*), the movers of a couple of motions were never recorded. The motions themselves and their dispositions were, but not the names of the movers. And apparently even the movers don't remember making the motions (or aren't in attendance), though we all remember the debate around them.

How should these be recorded in the minutes? Should we simply say "A member moved..." or is there a better approach?

(*) He was relying in part on Zoom's auto-transcription functionality, which apparently doesn't specify who said what, and the chair didn't state the name of the movers.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:33 PM, Joshua Katz said:

That's what I would do.

I concur with Joshua Katz. Although the minutes should include the name of the mover, doing so is not critical and does not invalidate the motion adopted.  The minutes can be approved without the name of the person who made the motion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.