The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Postpone Indefinitely

Mark Apodaca, PRP

I am trying to understanding one of the characters of postpone indefinitely.  This is what it says:

Can be applied only to the main question and can therefore be made only while a main question is immediately pending. Motions to Limit or Extend Limits of Debate and for the Previous Question can be applied to it without affecting the main question. It cannot be committed (although the motion to Commit can be made while it is pending. It cannot be definitely postponed or laid on the table alone, but when it is pending, the main question can be definitely postponed or laid on the table, and in such a case, the motion to Postpone Indefinitely is also postponed to the specified time or carried to the table.

If an individual makes a main motion and later another makes a motion to postpone the main motion indefinitely, then a third individual makes a motion to postpone definitely, both the main motion and motion to postpone indefinitely are postponed together?

On 6/26/2022 at 6:14 PM, Mark Apodaca, PRP said:

I am trying to understanding one of the characters of postpone indefinitely.  This is what it says:

Can be applied only to the main question and can therefore be made only while a main question is immediately pending. Motions to Limit or Extend Limits of Debate and for the Previous Question can be applied to it without affecting the main question. It cannot be committed (although the motion to Commit can be made while it is pending. It cannot be definitely postponed or laid on the table alone, but when it is pending, the main question can be definitely postponed or laid on the table, and in such a case, the motion to Postpone Indefinitely is also postponed to the specified time or carried to the table.

If an individual makes a main motion and later another makes a motion to postpone the main motion indefinitely, then a third individual makes a motion to postpone definitely, both the main motion and motion to postpone indefinitely are postponed together?

Yes,

On 6/26/2022 at 6:14 PM, Mark Apodaca, PRP said:

Mark, you may want to note that almost exactly the same language applies to the motions to Amend [penultimate sentence of 12:7(2)] and to Commit [penultimate sentence of 13:7(2)].

And Mr. Honemann's answer applies to those situations, as well.

Atul,

One of my biggest challenges as a parliamentarian is how do I translate what is said in RONR (English) into American Sign Language.  I did not learn ASL until I was 18.  A ten-word motion can be translated into 3 or 4 ASL signs.  It is very challenging.

So there will be times when I will ask for clarification. 🙂

Mark

Edited by Mark Apodaca, PRP

On 6/26/2022 at 10:53 PM, Mark Apodaca, PRP said:

One of my biggest challenges as a parliamentarian is how do I translate what is said in RONR (English) into American Sign Language. 

Why is it the parliamentarian's job to translate particular language from RONR? I would not think that is expected, at least not on the spot at a meeting.

Mr. Gerber,

I will be the parliamentarian during a conference and ASL will be used throughout the conference.  If there is a parliamentary inquiry and if I am to check RONR, I will read the section and use ASL to communicate the rule to the delegates.  That is what I mean by translating.  I am not going to translate the whole RONR book into ASL.  

Mark

On 6/26/2022 at 11:31 PM, Mark Apodaca, PRP said:

If there is a parliamentary inquiry and if I am to check RONR, I will read the section and use ASL to communicate the rule to the delegates.  That is what I mean by translating.  I am not going to translate the whole RONR book into ASL.  

I understand that your intention was not to translate the entire book for your meeting. 🙂

What I'm questioning is the need for conveying the entirety of a particular rule, rather than simply what needs to be done in a particular situation.

In your example, I would think that you would only need to address the situation if and when the third member has moved (or inquires about moving) to postpone the main motion to a certain time, and then you would simply convey that the motion is in order, and it applies to both the main motion and the motion to postpone indefinitely. 

Atul,

So there will be times when I will ask for clarification. 🙂

And I was trying to be helpful by listing two other situations which are very similar, nothing more.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:58 PM, Mark Apodaca, PRP said:

That is what I normally do but every once in a while a delegate or member will make a parliamentary inquiry asking where the rule is located in RONR.  That is when the presiding officer would ask me.

Again, in the spirit of helpfulness, would it be possible to hook up your computer (with the CD or Kindle version) so that you could just project the relevant section of RONR onto the screen for the members?

I am going to try for the CP and CPP. 

Fantastic! Let me know if there's anything that I can do to help with your preparation.

Atul,

I do value your advice and helpfulness.  I have RONR in e-book format which I do use.  It has been downloaded on my laptops as well as Kindle.  I also have a number of books for reference.  I probably purchased every parliamentary book from Amazon as well as books from AIP.  Yep, I will ask for advice when it comes to the CP and CPP.

I also value Mr. Gerber, Mr. Elsman, Mr. Honemann, Mr. Martin, JJ, Mr. Katz, Mr. Kovosielski, and Mr. Brown's input and advice and appreciate their being helpful.

I hope to meet you all in person during the Leadership Training Conference.  If not then hopefully next year.

Mark

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.